Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

What would you do?

My mom has always been like a friend. Not really like a mother. She raised me, but always like a friend. Anyway, for the last few years she has been taking percocet. I didn't really know how severe it was, but in January I am pretty sure she stole pills from my house (for my husbands injury). Also her (soon to be ex) husband, that I haven't talked to in years just called me and said its gotten really bad (hes addicted big time too). Anyway, I am sure he was just trying to get her mad, but he told me where she gets the pills and how many. He also said to not tell her and just test her, and that would prove it. We have done that before and she "passed" . She sent a picture of the test to us back in Jan. (when I thought she stole pills from us), which proves nothing, unless I am seeing her pee on it. Anyway she is going away for a week, I think I should go to her house and get evidence. Also my 17 yr old brother lives there cont.

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 9:16 PM on Sep. 18, 2009 in Relationships

Answers (7)
  • and apparently they are smoking pot together. I want to go to her house, get a hair sample and take pics if necessary. My husband doesn't want me to do this... He says its none of our business. I think she has made it our business....Obviously, talking to her isnt working. She denies taking pills at all... Its a dead end. What would you do? Sorry so long...

    Answer by Anonymous at 9:18 PM on Sep. 18, 2009

  • Do you want custody of your brother? If not, then don't do anything. If you are willing to get custody of your brother, then do what you need to do.


    Answer by legalmommy101 at 9:19 PM on Sep. 18, 2009

  • To be honest there is nothing that you can do unless she's committing a crime and courts can order her to go to rehab. So going there and taking pictures and taking samples isn't going to do anything except trash your relationship. If you feel it necessary stage an intervention make your ultimatum and go from there. But I am very sorry to say there is nothing that you can do for her, nothing can say to her, nothing you can make her do. It has to come from her or else it's never going to work.

    Answer by Anonymous at 9:22 PM on Sep. 18, 2009

  • do something step in my best friend died from an overdose in june cause no one stepped in her brother found her dead in her bath tub

    Answer by Anonymous at 9:25 PM on Sep. 18, 2009

  • I think that your husband is right in that you shouldn't go to her house and do that. Her choices are her own. In the case of your younger brother, how close is he to 18? Most likely he would just get pissed and shut you out completely. If you feel the need, you can call CPS and tell them and they will conduct an investigation. But, I doubt you could even get your bro to agree to live with you til he's 18 if you did anything at all cuz even if you did get custody, he'd probably run away if he is indeed doing pot b/c, hun, he isn't doing it JUST with her if he is doing it.
    She won't change unless she wants to. The only reason I mention calling CPS is for your brother that MAYBE it could get him out of a bad situation, but like I said he is old enough that you can't do much for him unless he gets sent to a group home or something if it is at that point. Good luck, but don't go combing your mom's house. You arent HER mom either

    Answer by missbreezy214 at 9:26 PM on Sep. 18, 2009

  • If you want to get hurt go for it, if not run. Can you fix it? change it ? You can not change others. Just Love from afar.


    Answer by Anonymous at 9:27 PM on Sep. 18, 2009

  • You can be sneaky and get her hair from her hair brush. Yes, I would make sure in case your father/stepfather is just trying to cause trouble. while I was waiting for results, I would start to pray for her, and for solutions. I would definitely consider having my brother move in with me. At 17 he is just starting his life, and you don't want him to continue to make bad/unwise choices starting out. If the test is positive, you can consider rehab. The problem is can you commit her, or must she commit herself. If there a trusted friend or minister to help consul her. The approach might be if you can't do it for yourself, do it for your son.
    You should talk to a professional so that you are presented with all your available options. I hope you or someone you tell can get through to her. God Bless.

    Answer by moneymagnetmom at 9:28 PM on Sep. 18, 2009

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.