Almost 1yr old won't sleep through the night. What are some ideas to get him to sleep through the night?

My 2 yr old was sleeping through the night at 6 months. The only difference btwn them is my 2 yr old was formula fed. My 11 month old is breastfeed. I have tried orajel and tylenol for teething pain, but he hasn't been fussing at all. I would like to move him into his big brother's room so my husband and I can sleep w/o being woken up every 2-3 hrs. I've been nursing him to sleep initially and then through the night I've been nursing him. I'm trying to get him off the breast as he approaches his 1st bday in a few weeks. He has top 2 and bottom 2 teeth. I've also fed him cereal and filled him up to the point where he was def not hungry...I don't know what to do! If someone could give me some options of what all of you have tried it would be much appreciated! Thanks!

comboc1

Asked by comboc1 at 9:22 PM on Sep. 18, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Quit giving him the breast. If he wakes up crying at night give him a drink of water in a sippy, or regular cup with a straw. He's waking up for the breast, and the only way to get him to stop expecting it, is to quit giving it.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:31 PM on Sep. 18, 2009

• My first suggestion is to put him in a crib if he's not already in one. We kept our youngest in the pack n play til she was 9 months old (we moved in with family right after she was born and didn't think we'd be there that long so the crib got put in back where we stored our stuff) She started waking durring the night so we put her in a toddler bed in her sister's room and she started sleeping through the night. Try giving him different blankets and such and see if he takes to any of them? My youngest wouldn't sleep for my mom unless she gave her a loin pillow, but she would sleep at home without one.
    Anonymous

• Breast fed babies have a hard time sleeping all night. They need the breast more often. My kids all slept all night by two months and they were bottle fed. They were happy babies and slept well. They also loved cereal and fruit for supper and went to sleep by eight PM.
    Lindalu2

Answer by Lindalu2 at 10:17 PM on Sep. 18, 2009

• Breastfeeding is more than just food it is also comfort for a scared baby in the middle of the night. Soem babies between the age of 9 and 12 months have night terrors. By going to him and breastfeeding you are giving a sense of security and building self esteem. On the other hand, getting up every 2 to 3 hours is terrible for your well being. Try having your husband go to him at night with the water. If the baby sees you and you do not breastfeed him, he will only cry harder. Then there are the children that never sleep through the night. My 21 year old has never slept through the night even if she just wakes to use the restroom. Good luck!
    momx3gx1b

Answer by momx3gx1b at 10:46 PM on Sep. 18, 2009

• Not nursing won't make him sleep. And forget what your daughter did...it's a whole new ballgame with every new baby. No matter how you feed them!

Check out "The No Cry Sleep Solution" by Elizabeth Pantley. It'll help.

Answer by gdiamante at 11:48 PM on Sep. 18, 2009

• breastfed babies do NOT have a hard time sleeping at night. sleeping all through the night is considered a milestone. my son just started sleeping through the night and he's 13 months. he is still breastfed, but i just stopped offering the breast at night. i helped him learn how to soothe himself in other ways. he used to sleep in his crib in our room, but now sleeps in his own room. and that has helped him sleep better too.
    mommytobobby

Answer by mommytobobby at 10:02 AM on Sep. 19, 2009

• my bf daughter started sleeping 10:30-8 at around 6-7 months- we just watched to see when she got tired, then started her bedtime routine: diaper check/change, pj, story, then bed. She fusses a little, then puts herself to sleep within 15 minutes. we also make sure she gets naps during he day- if she misses a nap, she won't sleep well at night. So for us, setting a regular schedule once she left our room is what helped her feel secure enough to sleep. We also have a little musical giraffe that we put in with her for naps and bedtime- it gives her something to focus on other than mommy leaving her alone in a dark room.
    preacherskid

Answer by preacherskid at 12:20 PM on Sep. 19, 2009

• My 21 month old still wakes up during the night. Sleeping all night is a developmental milestone that everyone reaches in their own time, just like walking.
    aehanrahan

Answer by aehanrahan at 2:53 PM on Sep. 19, 2009