Preschool Homework

I am a preschool teacher and was wondering if anyone's 4 yr olds that are in preschool get homework and or how a parent would feel if they did. I have 7 kids that all ask for homework to take home on the weekends and I am reluctant to do so because they will have a lot of homework throughout their education. What are your opinions? Most of the parents don't care and think it's cute that their kids want homework.

Asked by tyfry7496 at 9:31 PM on Sep. 18, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• my niece gets homework in her daycare shes only 2 1/2. they give her things like make a collage of some of your pictures. easy arts and crafts!
    HaydensMama42

Answer by HaydensMama42 at 9:40 PM on Sep. 18, 2009

• Thank you!! I am talking writing worksheets, math type activites. Writing their name, alphabet, numbers. Things they should be doing at home anyway. Oh, I do send home a family project once a month that corresponds to one of our monthly themes.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 9:47 PM on Sep. 18, 2009

• my daughter didnt get any homework in pre k. and nor my son. Im really not sure how I would feel about it.. since I never expierence that before.
    incarnita

Answer by incarnita at 10:48 PM on Sep. 18, 2009

• tyfry...give it a try, see how it works...do something simple first...like writing numbers. Practice writing numbers and I know they have those a b c books at any teacher store. They are letting you know they are eager to learn. Introduce it first. Send a note home to the parents. Explaining what you hope to accomplish. Go for it. It's only one sheet.
    Safirejewl

Answer by Safirejewl at 11:10 PM on Sep. 18, 2009

• and may I add, you will be teaching them to be responsible for their work. You get a thumbs up or smiley face from me.
    Safirejewl

Answer by Safirejewl at 11:14 PM on Sep. 18, 2009

• I would do it, you have the support of parents and kids!! Just give them something small.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:17 AM on Sep. 19, 2009

• my daughter isn't in preschool, however she is in speech therapy through a head start program. and her therapist sends home a worksheet each week for her to work on at home. its tracing letters, practicing sounds etc...doesn't bother me, we do things like that anyways, and she thinks its cool that she gets homework like her uncle and daddy do.
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 12:26 AM on Sep. 19, 2009

• Like you said it's stuff that they should be doing anyway at home.. I wouldn't mind if my son's preschool teacher sent home worksheets, it'd be helpful to both me and him as I wouldn't have to spend so much time online trying to find extra things to print out and have him work on and besides it'd make them feel like a big kid. Just don't expect it back like you would from a 2nd grader. HEHE
    KalebsMommee

Answer by KalebsMommee at 2:03 AM on Sep. 19, 2009

• my presk. has HW, actually more than my kinder which is frustrating me and the preschool.

Honestly something easy for them to do so they can show off what they know and involve the parents is not a bad idea. It helps mom and dad know more about what their child is doing and gives them a focus to work with their child and if the kids want to.... go for it.

HW could be 1 worksheet to color or find a letter or name. Collage on a color -- find things that are red, or food or start with the letter ____ Or do a book report -- read a book and draw your favorite part or a picture of the character (main) etc. --- teachs the vocabulary -- character, setting etc. and its fun b/c in general most kids LOVE to draw and/or color.
    MamiJaAyla

Answer by MamiJaAyla at 9:49 AM on Sep. 19, 2009

• give them some pages to color as "homework" it makes them feel like a big kid, espcially if they have older siblings in "real"school that come home with homework everynight. and its something to keep them occupied while the older ones are doing their schoolwork, so it helps mom out a little as well
    bi-polarmommy

Answer by bi-polarmommy at 3:11 PM on Sep. 19, 2009