Question for Christian mommas.......

who dress modestly. So when you dress modestly what other areas of your lifestyle do you change as well? (by modesty I mean long skirts). What changed in your life once you made this commitment to God? How did other people treat you? My family and I want to make this change in our lives. We've prayed about it for a very long time and I feel this is the direction God is pointing me in. So any advice, tips?? thank you.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:36 PM on Sep. 18, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• God doesn't care what you wear as long as you're not trying to show off your body, and I don't think it's a commitment to wear long skirts. You can dress just as modestly wearing slacks, jeans and blouses.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:40 PM on Sep. 18, 2009

• bluejean skirts
    what is so wrong with loose fitting ladies pants?
    Anonymous

• Correction: I don't think it makes you more committed to God for wearing long skirts 24/7, I think you are just simply committed to wearing the skirts.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:41 PM on Sep. 18, 2009

• If you are trying to fit in at a school or church that I guess works for you.
    Anonymous

• My church is more concerned with witnessing than appearances. I do not like clicky groups with secret dress codes to make themselves appear more Christian how is that gonna help you reach your neighbors better? just my opinion
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:44 PM on Sep. 18, 2009

I agree. At our church, we don't care what you are wearing as long as it is not revealing. Not everyone can afford 3-piece suits and fancy dresses. Our church is only concerned about reaching people for Christ.

This is the actual mission statement of our church: We are not thrown back by where you are or where you have been, we are only concerned with where you are going.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:52 PM on Sep. 18, 2009

• My faith does have modesty standards; though not requiring long skirts.

I didn't follow them as a teen because I really wanted to fit in. Then my senior year in high school, I got my motorcycle (no car, just the bike, it was all I could afford). Anyway, if you don't want to get horrible road rash, you got to cover up more. So that was a good motivation.

I did 7 years of straight riding with no car, and in that time, I started finding cute clothes that met the needs of my riding and the standards of my faith, and I felt an increase in my personal confidence and less of a need to follow the crowd.

mogencreative

Answer by mogencreative at 10:05 PM on Sep. 18, 2009

• Thats a personal choice, when I became a wife of preacher, others try tell me how I should dress.
    I did not and would not listen. I just tell people, God didn't tell that but if he ever does I will obey him, only him.
    Ministerswife

Answer by Ministerswife at 10:05 PM on Sep. 18, 2009

• i wear long and knee length skirts when i go to our meetings, I sometimes wear jeans on the weekend at the mall or whatever. But after I changed my life, God has blessed me in so many ways. My marriage was at the breaking point and since then it has gotten so much better, not perfect, but waaay better, I no longer fret about things that I cant change, just do what i can. I'm alot more patient than I used to be and I'm a better wife and mother. We dont expect anyone to wear expensive clothing, thats part of being modest. not that theres anything wrong with it, but its not necessary. In my congregation there are wealthy people and poor people, and they all dress modestly. everyone looks similar. I believe you should be modest in dress, but whats really important is to pray to God, follow his words in the bible and try to follow Jesus' footsteps closely.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:11 PM on Sep. 18, 2009

• The BEST advice I can give you is this. Don't care what your friends, family, co-workers or society might think. If God points you somewhere and says go please listen. Noiw I know that you asked only for long skirt modest momma but I am not one of those, I wear pants. But I am modest in my dress at least imho. But even God tells us to not care about man, for they can only kill the body. But care about God, for he can destroy the soul... God bless and I am so glad that you have God directing your life :)
    rhanford

Answer by rhanford at 10:53 PM on Sep. 18, 2009