For or against homework?

Are you for or against homework? Does it depend on age? I'm against homework especially for younger children. Parents are so busy these days working their butts off to make ends meet and then to have to come home and rush through homework, cook dinner, get baths, make lunches etc . I don't think families get enough quality time during the week and homework just adds more stress. I'm all for parents being involved in their children's education but I think once a child comes home they should be able to spend quality time with their family without the frustration of homework. What do you think?

legalmommy101

Asked by legalmommy101 at 9:46 PM on Sep. 18, 2009 in General Parenting

• I believe in homework because it reinforces what is learned in school, teaches the kids responsiblity and not everything can be done in a classroom. Homework has never killed a person and never will.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 9:48 PM on Sep. 18, 2009

• I am against it when the school says that you have to have homework in every subject EVERY night. Or when the homework takes HOURS to complete. I don't mind homework when there's a little of it. But when you take away a child's complete afternoon and evening, you are forcing them to loose their childhood. Homework can be quality time. If it's not an overload of it. Great chance for the kids to tell you about what they are learning in school.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:50 PM on Sep. 18, 2009

I completely agree.
    sammiesmom2000

Answer by sammiesmom2000 at 9:51 PM on Sep. 18, 2009

• If the child is so young that the homework requires the parents time, which is already limited for all the reasons the OP stated, then the child is too young for homework, or should have a minimal amount of homework.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:51 PM on Sep. 18, 2009

• I think Education as well as family time is very important. It's a responsibility of the teacher, school, child, and as well as the parents to make sure that children are getting the best education possible. Bringing home homework not only reinforces the items the child should learn it also creates a time in which a parent can bond with their child. Sometimes children have a hard time in a classroom setting yet are more comfortable and can work at their own pace at home. Even if a child doesn't have homework, i think parents should be setting aside time to read with their children, do math flashcards etc. Education is important and children must have it so when they have children maybe they won't have such a hard time making ends meet and can spend more time working on their children's education instead of ranting on cafemom!
    princessj05

Answer by princessj05 at 9:53 PM on Sep. 18, 2009

• I'm just against it when it's obviously busy work...you know those occasional assignments that just seem to be homework for homework's sake.
    mogencreative

Answer by mogencreative at 9:53 PM on Sep. 18, 2009

• As a grandma, I can see both sides of the fence here. I understand it reinforces what they learned in school, but I can also see how it would be very difficult for a working couple to have enough time, plus family time. When my kids were little and when I was in school, I remember most homework was sent home on weekends.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:54 PM on Sep. 18, 2009

• "Education is important and children must have it so when they have children maybe they won't have such a hard time making ends meet"

It seems education won't matter if they are in a recession like we have now or worse. I agree 100% that education is very important but children learn through play and children can learn responsibility through helping siblings, doing chores etc. Parent's need time to teach their children the things that school doesn't teach them.

legalmommy101

Answer by legalmommy101 at 9:56 PM on Sep. 18, 2009

• I do agree with what you say about spending time as a family. However, I do believe in homework but just in our district the homework is too much...only first grade, you have more than an hour work, can you believe that? Not even mention about 2nd grade. For us, the thing is we really want our kids to develop other things than academic success, such as sports, music and learning 2nd language etc...but it seems like we only have a few hours to do it all. Oh, well...it's life. Nothing is perfect...
    ocsosomom

Answer by ocsosomom at 9:59 PM on Sep. 18, 2009

• I like the way it is done at my son's school, they have daily goals set and if they don't complete those goals, then that is their homework. They don't get homework just because they need homework, they only have it if they don't finish what has been set for them to do.
    CaLizzyMom

Answer by CaLizzyMom at 9:59 PM on Sep. 18, 2009