If your husband left you or died tomorrow, would you be able to take care of yourself? What would you do?

prettyrayray

Asked by prettyrayray at 10:54 PM on Sep. 18, 2009 in Just for Fun

• I would be on PA for a little while. But i'm more then half done with my education so it shouldn't take too long. ...
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 10:56 PM on Sep. 18, 2009

• I couldn't support myself without major help from the state. Daycare assistance, foodstamps etc. So I would probably move back in with my mom, get a parttime job so I could help with expenses and go back to school for nursing. Or sign with a hospital that will pay my way through school plus a stipend for living expenses while I'm getting my degree. It would probably only take me a few months before I was a CNA and then I could move back out on my own.

I don't like to think about it though.
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 10:58 PM on Sep. 18, 2009

• well since im on bedrest, not atm...we have a bunch of money saved, but its for the baby...i would prolly move in with his parents until after i have the baby and can go back to work and make money...then i would be able to take care of me and our child...its weird i think about that often, we have a somewhat dangerous job so i am always trying to make sure we are prepared for anything.
    danette624

Answer by danette624 at 10:59 PM on Sep. 18, 2009

• My dad passed away when I was 12 so my mom ALWAYS told me to make sure I could take care of myself if my SO left or passed away. Unfortunatly I didn't go to college so I wouldn't be able to get a great paying job (if anyone knows of one I COULD do, please let me know lol). So I would not be able to take care of myself or children. I'm not sure WHAT I'd do!! It's scary thinking about it but I suppose it's something I SHOULD think about considering we have children.
    CrystalJanie

Answer by CrystalJanie at 10:59 PM on Sep. 18, 2009

• Our life insurance policy is substantial to a point. After a couple years I'd have to figure it out. Be a secretary or something.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:02 PM on Sep. 18, 2009

• I don't like thinking about it either, but I think everyone should think about it. I'd worry about my family if I died...idk what my husband would do! We have a $50K life policy at work, I suppose he's start with that...
    prettyrayray

Answer by prettyrayray at 11:05 PM on Sep. 18, 2009

• not a prob... i could go back to photography
    scooterpooter

Answer by scooterpooter at 11:10 PM on Sep. 18, 2009

• Well, after sending my son to be with my parents for at least a week or maybe even a month, I would hide in bed and cry to no avail. Then I would figure out when I was going to move off base (they give you 6 months if your spouse dies) and do whatever needed to be done for the life insurance. I would buy a house back home and go back to school so that I could then get a job that paid enough to support us... probably doing daycare while going to school, because that is what I do now. I've been trained to run an in home daycare, so I would continue doing what I know. Beyond supporting and raising my son, I would feel very empty and hollow for a long long time. My husband being military, I've thought all of this through, because it is just one of those things you have to do.
    cfdm3s_mommy

Answer by cfdm3s_mommy at 11:18 PM on Sep. 18, 2009

• We have a substantial life insurance policy because my husband does have a very dangerous job, I don't know why we have such a good one on me to but we do. So we've actually talked about this. I would move back to the south closer to our family, get a part time job until I could finish school and then get a job from there. It's not a very happy plan but it's one everyone should have.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:20 PM on Sep. 18, 2009

• Well, considering that I live with his mother, yes. If he left, I would make him pay child support. (He did it for his other kids, willingly, so he can do it for our daughter) If he died, I would cut off the internet/cable/etc. Probably be on PA for a while. But once I get done paying for my car(I am almost done), I would be able to do it on my own.
    SAMNMAYASMOM

Answer by SAMNMAYASMOM at 11:22 PM on Sep. 18, 2009