Does my child has ADD???

Yesterday I got a note from my 5 year old daughter's teacher. She was complaining that my child doesn't listen and has a hard time paying attention. Generally my child is not the kind to be running all over the house and constantly jumping around. She is usually very well behave, but she does have a hard time paying attention, listening and acknowledging what has been said to her. Like for example I have to tell her over and over to brush her teeth, get dress, eat, don't touch the dogs and so on. It's like she doesn't get it when I tell her the first time. Now I'm concern and I'm wondering does my child has a mild form of ADD or is it normal for her age?

GodPRKitty

Asked by GodPRKitty at 11:00 PM on Sep. 18, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Do this. If you have real concerns and this has been going on for a long period of time, talk to your doctor and ask for a referal to a behavioral institute or place where they can test and examine your daughter. Most ppl on here will tell you it's a bogus concern, and on this CM it is a pretty big debatable topic. I understand why you are concerned. Her innability to follow simple instructions and tasks can pose a big problem in school. I think most kids have struggles in some area or another, but this can affect every aspect of your child's school experience. Talk to the professionals, tell your doctor what her teachers and others have said about her lack of focus. Tell them your concerns and experiences. There is help out there for those who seek it; and don't mind the naysayers. You can't understand this as a problem unless you've dealt with it firsthand.
    Heathercurlz

Answer by Heathercurlz at 11:39 PM on Sep. 18, 2009

• If you have suspicions about your child having ADD or any other learning disability you should talk to your child's doctor and teachers.
    keep in mind that ADD is grossly over diagnosed and that ALL children sometimes have a hard time focusing at school.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 11:08 PM on Sep. 18, 2009

• She's 5, she sounds pretty normal to me.
    Is this her first time at school? Could she just not be used to the classroom environment and being told what to do all day?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:21 PM on Sep. 18, 2009

• No actually she was in pre-school before and her teachers there use to give me the same complain about her...
    GodPRKitty

Answer by GodPRKitty at 11:24 PM on Sep. 18, 2009

• My 4 year old is the same way and he is borderline being diagnosed ADHD so it's very possible. I have him in what they call Play Therapy (as an alternative to medications) and we've had 3 sessions so far and I can already tell a difference. I've also cut out all processed sugars, red dye, and things like that out of his diet and it has helped tremendously with him paying attention and listening better. Try calling your pediatrician or local mental health facility and ask if they have an psychologists in your area that offer this.
    KalebsMommee

Answer by KalebsMommee at 1:34 AM on Sep. 19, 2009

• She could be not mature enough to handle Kindergarten yet.
    She could have a discipline problem stemming from how you handle her at home.
    She could have food allergies/sensitivities.

Talk to her pediatrician. They should be able to provide some help determining the cause of the problem and possible alternatives.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 5:15 PM on Sep. 19, 2009

• If the teacher is that concerned have her set up the testing with the school counselor or psychologist. It will be free that way. If you go to the doctor it won't be. If she is diagnosised with ADD, then make sure an ADEP is put in place. ADEP= Attention Deficit Education Plan. It is the same as an IEP but for kids that just have ADHD/ADD.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 9:18 PM on Sep. 19, 2009