What would you think?

My daughter is in kindergarten. She came home this morning and said "oh yeah mom, God didn't make the trees, people did." We have always taught her about Creation, as well as evolution but we do teach that God made the Earth, the animals, the plants, the people. So I asked "Oh where did you hear that?" She said that is what she learned in school today, that her teacher told the class that people made the trees, not God. Would you bring it up with the teacher or just let it go? I don't want her being taught in a public school (which can't teach about religion) that God didn't create things.

AprilDJC

Asked by AprilDJC at 11:03 PM on Sep. 18, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• Sometimes kids that age come to odd assumptions about things. I would not make a big deal about it. But i would make sure that you reinforce the idea that God made the trees. People can plant seeds and grow trees. ...But that God created it all.
    She is probably just confused about what the teacher said. I highly doubt that the teacher would tell her that trees are a man made creation ...because they aren't.

My son came home a couple days ago telling me about how The Bugs sing the song about a Yellow Submarine. LOL
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 11:05 PM on Sep. 18, 2009

• If you really care, I would investigate the context within which the comment was made before hanging the teacher.
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 11:05 PM on Sep. 18, 2009

• I had asked her if the teacher said that people plant seeds to make trees, and she said no, she said that the teacher said that people made the trees, not God, and then seeds came from the trees and people plant them to make more. On the assumption that she misunderstood, I will definitely reinforce that God made the trees lol, and and I will definitely be listening for any other mention of stuff like this.
    AprilDJC

Answer by AprilDJC at 11:10 PM on Sep. 18, 2009

• In all honesty, she probably got things muddled up a bit.  She is only in kindergarten and kids have a way of getting things completely distorted.

beeky

Answer by beeky at 11:25 PM on Sep. 18, 2009

• I think that if she did pass on what the teacher said exactly, that I'd have to say something to either the principal or the teacher. I'm not a Christian, I'm a Pagan, but I agree that a public school is not the place to be counter-teaching any religious beliefs that were taught to the children at home.

If a child is taught that trees were created by the deity that is worshiped in the home...what right does a teacher have telling them any different?
    daisy521

Answer by daisy521 at 11:31 PM on Sep. 18, 2009

• I would not doubt that your dd said what her teacher told them in class... I would go and talk to the teacher and ask her about her lesson regarding what your dd told you....
    I am a Pagan and I agree with the pp that there is no place in a public school to counter-teach religious beliefs...

gmasboy

Answer by gmasboy at 12:05 AM on Sep. 19, 2009

• I would come to school early the next morning or catch the teacher before she went home when you pick up your DD from school. Ask her what she taught the kids and let her tell you herself :) But that would really upset me. I do not feel that teachers should be teaching our kids that God doesn't exist, or that people made the trees. I have heard so many stories on this omgosh, it's sad. If our children are not allowed to pray in school the teachers are NOT allowed to take a freedom that is not theirs and say hey God's imaginary, and man is self sufficient. I say keep your opinions too yourself teachers :) But if this kind of talk does continue maybe think about switching her classes if you can, if you can' then yes I would bring this up to the principal, it's no one's place but the parent to teach God. Of any religion, jmho :) God bless! But definatly read creation to her agian :)
    rhanford

Answer by rhanford at 12:35 AM on Sep. 19, 2009

• I think you should bring it up to the teacher, that way you don't need to worry about what else she might tell your dd, and she will know how you feel about what happend. Maybe it was a misunderstanding, but maybe it wasn't.

However, that doesn't even make sense. No one believes that people made trees! So it might have been a misunderstanding, but she still could have told dd that God didn't make the trees.

One time my dd was listing all the things that God made "God made me, and my sister, and you and daddy, and the moon, and the stars, and the street lights, and the cars . . . " She went on and on. I had to tell her that no God didn't make the street lights or the cars. She is awesome; she gives God praise for everything she sees : )
    Cinnamon-mom

Answer by Cinnamon-mom at 12:52 AM on Sep. 19, 2009

• SHES GOING TO LEARN A HOLE LOTS OF STUFF WHILL SHES GROWING UP SO U BETTER GET USE TO IT BECOUSE KIDS GOING TO LEARN RIGHT STUFF AND THE WRONG STUFF AND SHES GOING TO HEAR BAD WORDS FROM OTHER PEAPLE . JUST HANG IN THERE !
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:58 AM on Sep. 19, 2009

• I would just leave it alone and reenforce your beliefs. But she's her own little person and she's going to come to her own conclusions about the world. Just guide her the best you can and don't give her teacher any trouble. Being a public school teacher is hard enough without parents getting onto them over stupid things like this. If you're that worried about that kind of stuff you'll have to put her in a private religious school.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:22 AM on Sep. 19, 2009