getting little one to sleep

Ok guess I need to work my question differently...My now 5month old has trouble falling asleep I could care less if she slept 4-5 hrs straight...she is still breastfeeding and she gets hungry, BUT GETTING her to fall to sleep for more than 30min-1hrs is a problem. She has a night time routine, bath feeding, dark lights, soft noise, white noise, book, rocking chair, put to sleep awake and asleep and nothing is working I have been at this for over a month now and would love to get more than one hr sleep. She doesnt spit up and has a dry diper. Only two times has she slept for 3-4 hrs at night. She also only takes one real nap during the day unless she is out for a drive or in her stroller. Please help!

mtk35

Asked by mtk35 at 11:13 PM on Sep. 18, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• What time do you put her to sleep? I had the same problem with my dd when she was the same age, we were doing all of that, except putting her to sleep too late. We kept trying to keep her up later just so she'd sleep in, and she'd still wake up early. Finally we put her to bed at 7:30pm and she slept through the night and has ever since. I hope it works for you, too!
    Seven07

Answer by Seven07 at 11:19 PM on Sep. 18, 2009

• My son won't consider going to sleep until midnight or later. He's like the standard college kid. He'll sleep in till 10-12 too. He's stopped waking up in between to eat as well. The schedule works for me- I had him while finishing my last semester. I would say, don't try so hard, she'll go to sleep when she is tired.
    mrs.coop

Answer by mrs.coop at 11:28 PM on Sep. 18, 2009

• I had the same problem at this age as well. It was around the time where i had to stop swaddling her, which was a nightmare! She really just liked to be a snuggled up. Have you tried having her not sleep in her crib. I know that might sound weird. But in order for me to get things done or take a nap, my daughter would take a nap on the couch with a blanket. It was the only place she would sleep. It was almost instant. Now that she is 11 months she has been in her crib for months now, and sleeps just fine. She just felt more comfy on the couch,and eventually grew out of it. Oh and it was a chase lodge so she couldn't roll off! I would just explore different places to have her fall asleep, i think some sleep in a unconventional place is better then no sleep at all. I wouldn't really worry about creating bad habits, because not sleeping is bad enough right? Good luck mama! i hope you find something that works!
    ashjacks4

Answer by ashjacks4 at 11:40 PM on Sep. 18, 2009

• You're doing all the right things. But are you watching when SHE gets sleepy? The only thing I found that worked was to ignore what *I* thought was "right" and go along with how my son wanted to sleep. I did that and he was sleeping longer stretches.

Answer by gdiamante at 11:49 PM on Sep. 18, 2009