Money for good grades?

So since my sister has gotten to middle school and my fiance's sister has gotten to High School Ive been trying to think of a way to treat them if they do well in school

they both have 6-classes each
I was thinking $50 per A and $25 per B
I was also thinking of

-($25) for D's and -($50) for F

not that they'll owe but it will take away so the highest they can get is 300 the lowest is 0

now this wont be exchanged in dollars, it will be exchanged in a shopping trip, they can get whatever they want at the malls in San Francisco as long as its age appropriate...my sis is 11 his sis is 13

oh this is for the semester grade not the quarter grades

Does this sound good or a bit over board?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:19 PM on Sep. 18, 2009 in

• we just usually let our 3rd grade daughter pick out a new toy or game shes been wanting...when i was growing up my dad gave us 5.00 - a / 4.00 - b / 3.00 - c in elementary school. but since your kids are older i guess that amount sounds about right
    scooterpooter

Answer by scooterpooter at 11:27 PM on Sep. 18, 2009

• for my ten year old, she gets $50 for all "A" on 9 week report. That is total, not per A.... if we paid $50 per A, it would be $350 x 4 report cards... or $1,400 per school year. Sweet deal you are offering!

If my DD gets less than all "A" then she gets nothing. At the end of the year, if she gets all A's again on the last report card, she gets $100.

We don't generallypay for B's or below, but did let her slide one time last year when her math grade was one point below being an A.  But, if she already isn't an A/B student, you could entice her to try harder by paying for any grade above failing. That's up to you what you can afford to bribe her with...

VeronicaLee

Answer by VeronicaLee at 11:28 PM on Sep. 18, 2009

• OOPS! My bad... I missed the part at the end where you said it was not for quarterly grades... we pay less but we do pay quarterly, it keeps my DD excited through out the year.

VeronicaLee

Answer by VeronicaLee at 11:31 PM on Sep. 18, 2009

• I come from a family where you are really rewarded for things my parents feel you should be doing. They as a three person unit, decided that I should not be rewarded for getting good grades because I should do it on my own. Same with my brothers and well, my sister's bio-mom pretended my stepdad was just saying "womp womp womp wompwomp"....so to me that seems overboard.
    OneToughMami

Answer by OneToughMami at 12:17 AM on Sep. 19, 2009

• My son gets a dollar for every 100 (they don't do letter grades). They take a test in each subject at least every 3 weeks so he won't ever get more than $100/yr. But then we make him put half of that into his savings account. He also gets monetary rewards for other things that he does at school, but that is stuff that they don't do in other schools.
    CaLizzyMom

Answer by CaLizzyMom at 10:06 AM on Sep. 19, 2009

• It seems like a bit much to me, but if you have the extra and that's how you want to spend it, why not? My parents paid $5 an A and $1 a B, and doubled it if I got all As, so the most I could get was $60 a semester. That was like 6 years ago.
    toriandgrace

Answer by toriandgrace at 1:35 PM on Sep. 19, 2009

• Wow times have changed. The most I got was $5 for an A and $4 for a B and $3 for a C I did get a bonus for honor society and/ or deans list and good attendance but never that much.
    Liansmommie

Answer by Liansmommie at 8:33 PM on Sep. 19, 2009

• Yes I think it's overboard... Growing up we were expected to get good grades or we got grounded. Spending 6 weeks in the house with no car and no phone was all it took for me to not bring home D's and F's. I don't think someone should be rewarded for doing what they should do.
    MomofWildcats

Answer by MomofWildcats at 9:36 PM on Sep. 20, 2009

• Just like we get salaries at our jobs, we pay for grades in lieu of paying allowance. Our 14 year old gets $25-A; $10-B, 0-C, $-10-D, $-25-F. At our jobs we occasionally get a bonus for exemplary performance; we offer a $25 bonus for Principal’s Scholar (based on GPA) and for Honor Roll (based on letter grades).

Answer by rkoloms at 12:51 PM on Sep. 21, 2009