Did Women's Lib fail?

So, 50-60 years ago, you and your high school sweetheart could get married, drop out of high school and live happily ever after. If he was like one of my grandfathers he'd go work at the grocery store or get an internship with a local electrician. You'd have 4, 5, 6 babies and stay home and raise them. Your husband made a modest living (even without much education) and you guys got by.

Then along comes the women's lib movement, and says women have the right to choose, we shouldn't be trapped in the house! So women fight for their rights and enter the workforce.

Fast forward to now, have we won that right to choose? Or are we forced to work now just as we were forced to stay home then? "If you want to stay home, you'd better hope you're husband has a good education!" Or at least not have very many kids! If the life in the first scenario is our dream, we can't really have it.

Or, can PA fill in where Women's Lib failed?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:04 AM on Sep. 19, 2009 in Just for Fun

• Women should stay ignorant just so we don't have to work outside the home. Right.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:08 AM on Sep. 19, 2009

• I'm not saying that. I'm suggesting that arguing that women should have options doesn't mean that some women shouldn't be allowed to choose that first scenario. Not all women want to work outside the home. Nowadays you basically have to. Doesn't that represent a limitation of options?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:10 AM on Sep. 19, 2009

• Hnm. At least in my family, no women got to stay home while having babies. They had their babies and went to work in the family store or on the family farm or wherever. There was NO SUCH THING as a SAHM who dropped out of school. Dropping out was considered the ultimate shame.

Answer by gdiamante at 12:11 AM on Sep. 19, 2009

• The point of wmen's lib was to choose what you want. It's a fantasy to believe that there was ever an era when some women didn't HAVE to work, though. In EVERY age there have been working women.

Answer by gdiamante at 12:12 AM on Sep. 19, 2009

• I agree. These days, however, there is a lot more pressure to buy, buy buy. Because of this, many people feel the need to work long hours in order to achieve an "ideal lifestyle". Women still have a HUGE pay discrepency and are often overlooked for jobs they are qualified for (either that, or there are many more men and women going to college and therefore it is more difficult for anyone to find work).
    I don't feel like women's lib failed completely- but I am disapointed that there are more animal shelters than there are women's shelters, it is almost impossible to press a rape charge, and if a woman is pregnant she can not find any work whatsoever (speaking from experience).
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:18 AM on Sep. 19, 2009

• I think it's less about women's lib and more about the economy. The dollar has done little but fall since those days. That, and our jobs have gotten more sophisticated. Now you have to have a degree to work on just about anything because everything has technology involved in it.

It's also our standard of living. We expect to have electricity, running water, cable TV, cell phones, internet, air conditioning, central heat, etc. 50 or 60 years ago not everyone had those things and some had none of those things.
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 12:19 AM on Sep. 19, 2009

• I don't think the movement was a TOTAL failure... Women today do have more choices than they did previously, but that isn't necessarily good enough. And much of the change has been economic. However, the movement did have some unintended consequences, one of which has been the disappearance of the "family wage."

So, yes, I think that many women today who do feel it is their call to stay home and raise their children do have an uphill battle to fight. But I also think we've been fighting that battle for the last 10-15 years or so, and things have improved overall. However the economic climate of late has set us back a bit... Good point about the PA, though.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:30 AM on Sep. 19, 2009

• Women's Lib was about more than just being able to choose to get out of the home. It was more about equality. 50 years ago today you would be sleeping next to your husband without really being able to put together something as inteligent as this because you would have had a high school education. Then if you did go to college, depending on where you went you didn't have much choice in majors. However, the secretarial arts and nursing were always a good option. I come from a family of very liberated women. My granny and her sisters were raised during the Depression by a single mother, her sister, and their widowed grandmother. My two great aunts were nurses and my granny worked in a meat plant for a while making MREs for the war, but then she worked at a cigar shop. So, independence was taught to my mother very early, she was given options.
    OneToughMami

Answer by OneToughMami at 1:05 AM on Sep. 19, 2009

• I don't know if the battle was really won. Yeah, we won the right to go out and work. But it seems we lost the right to stay home if we chose. Sure, we can still do it. But if we need a wee bit of PA to do it, everybody's down our backs. If we have more kids than someone else thinks we should, bad, bad, bad. And of course we're just stupid for being financially dependent on our hubbies. It's like if you choose to stay home, your life is suddenly an object of public scrutiny. Now if people would mind their own business and let other women decide for themselves what's best for their family...
    tyrelsmom

Answer by tyrelsmom at 1:33 AM on Sep. 19, 2009

• Women's lib made more room for gay rights. Choice to murder the unborn and to go without a bra knowing you got well more than a man!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:23 AM on Sep. 19, 2009