My dd won't tell me about school

My 4 year old DD just started pre school last week, and she seems really excited to go every day, but she will not tell me, or anyone else, about what she does there. This is so frustrating to me! I have to ask her a million questions just to get a little bit of info from her. I usually just end up asking the teacher to find out, but I really wish my dd would tell me. Any ideas on why she might be doing this? Did anyone else have a kid who wouldn't talk, but you knew they liked school?

ginger813

Asked by ginger813 at 12:37 AM on Sep. 19, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• My 4 year old boy is like this as well. He's in Pre-K & he's always excited to go but when I come to pick him up, I don't get any exciting news! It's like pulling teeth, I know! He just says "Oh yeah!, I had a good time so....Now where are we going mommy! I ask him things like:What's your teachers name? Have you made any new friends, What did you work on today? Still, I get NOTHING! I think it's just there age too & that's okay because I just keep coming up with more questions to ask him. Ha!
    onespecialmom

Answer by onespecialmom at 12:55 AM on Sep. 19, 2009

• sounds like a normal little kid. my 5 yr old nephew is in school and if i ask him how school was hell say good. ill say did you learn anything.."no." i think its just how little kids are
    MomNbabyGirl009

Answer by MomNbabyGirl009 at 12:46 AM on Sep. 19, 2009

• Maybe she's unsure of her feelings on it, my daughter doesn't always want to talk about her new little sister.. talk to her teachers.
    Seven07

Answer by Seven07 at 12:50 AM on Sep. 19, 2009

• Children her age are too young to have a conversation about their day. I was also concerned until my child's pre-k teacher told me that.

Hope that helps some.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:53 AM on Sep. 19, 2009

• my kids have been like that. Instead of asking how was your day ? or other general questions start of right away with something specific like: What was your favorite thing to do today? and strech that conversation out? What area did you play in? Who was your friend today? etc.
    But its normal. Oh and asking who did you play with is pointless depending on the child. My son NEVER know's his friends names -- its the kid with the short hair, blue eyes etc. My daughter is better about it. But when you ask her what she did today -- she tellls everything she ate and that's that..... guess what interests her LOL.
    MamiJaAyla

Answer by MamiJaAyla at 9:44 AM on Sep. 19, 2009

• My DD is similar. She tells me bits and pieces and will tell me who she played with and what her favorite thing that day is. Oh and she's big on the food, just like the poster above me.

I started doing "high low" with her... the best part of the day and the worst part of her day. Thursday her best was the boogie woogie song and the worst was waiting for her turn to paint.

I ask her if she ever gets in trouble and if she played outside and took a nap, if they read her a book, and so on and so forth.

I try not to expect too much from her, but as long as she's having a good time and can tell me parts of it, I'm good.
    Cavalrybaby02

Answer by Cavalrybaby02 at 10:01 AM on Sep. 19, 2009

• I ask my daughter everyday when she gets in the car "what did you do at school today?" She always says " I don't really remember." Every single day! I end up getting bits and pieces from her but that's it. I figure as long as she knows I care, eventually I will get answers! =)
    khedy

Answer by khedy at 3:09 PM on Sep. 19, 2009

• try this at dinner -
    how was your day?
    what was your high point?
    what was your low point?
    on a scale of one to ten?
    ask someone else

it helps them open up about their day (though at this age, you'll get very little "real" things that happened) and if you keep it up, they'll know they can always tell you about bad things that happened, or how they feel about things, good or bad
    bi-polarmommy

Answer by bi-polarmommy at 3:16 PM on Sep. 19, 2009

• She's not too young to talk about her day, my 5 year old and my 3 year old both tell me about their days with little to no prompting. (not bragging, just an example)

She's probably just not a talker, or has trouble putting things together into story form that's all.

Just keep working with her. She'll get it. Don't "pry" because if she feels pressured she may shut down. Just let her know you're interested in what she's doing with her day and gently ask every day....she'll get it....
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 5:02 PM on Sep. 19, 2009

• Perfectly normal. My DS is the same way. Ill ask him "so what did you do at school today" and his answer is always " nothing" ..lol..so I have to as him " did you color,did you play,did teacher read to you"..so as I ask him questions he start remembering..
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:01 PM on Sep. 19, 2009