Do you call your child "Mommy/Daddy" ?

This is one of my biggest pet peeves. They are children why would you call them this? To me its like your giving them ok to become paretns at a young age. I understand alot of people do it but it drives me NUTS! I work with kids and hear it daily. I so want to knock the crap out of the adult. I even have people try to call my children that at times I tell NO they are children. and They have names.

moma22angels

Asked by moma22angels at 12:43 AM on Sep. 19, 2009 in General Parenting

• why would someone call their child mommy or daddy? i might if we are playing house or something but not on a regular basis.
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 12:44 AM on Sep. 19, 2009

• what?? i call my little baby mamas when i talk to her but not MOMMY?

ive never heard anyone say that to their children lol
    MomNbabyGirl009

Answer by MomNbabyGirl009 at 12:45 AM on Sep. 19, 2009

• I had a friend who always called my DD "little mama" but that's a bit different, I think...maybe. It's kinda odd.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:45 AM on Sep. 19, 2009

• Ok so why mamas?
    moma22angels

Answer by moma22angels at 12:46 AM on Sep. 19, 2009

• I think it is a cultural thing. It wasn't popular in louisiana, but when I moved to texas, they do it alot around there. I personally disagree with it because I am the mommy not my daughter.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:47 AM on Sep. 19, 2009

• idk...just a name.. like angel, baby girl, sweetie pie...etc im not giving her the "okay" as you would say to be a parent at a young age though!
    MomNbabyGirl009

Answer by MomNbabyGirl009 at 12:47 AM on Sep. 19, 2009

• MAMA's / Papas?
    moma22angels

Answer by moma22angels at 12:48 AM on Sep. 19, 2009

• But generally speaking you give your kid a nick name, like angel, sugar pot, honey, sweetie, that indicates their personality or short version of their name. You want them to be like an angel, you want them to be sweet like the sugar in a sugar pot, or honey,,,,, So how is being a mama/pappa/mommy/daddy/ lil momma/ lil daddy not the same? That is just saying that you look at them as parents already.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:52 AM on Sep. 19, 2009

• yeah i look at my 7 month old as a parent already... yup.

::rolls eyes::
    MomNbabyGirl009

Answer by MomNbabyGirl009 at 12:53 AM on Sep. 19, 2009

• ok so my twins' dad is mexican and i just asked him this question. He calls them that every once in a while, and so does our mexican friend. They call them papa, and she calls her daughter mama/mami. He said its "just something they do". Which is a GREAT answer i know, but i guess it means its cultural. I was wondering why they do that too.
    Hope that helps!

dennysgirl07

Answer by dennysgirl07 at 1:02 AM on Sep. 19, 2009