Kindergarten

My DD has been in Kindergarten for a little over a month now, teacher was sending home (green for good behavior) until 3 days ago, I meet with teach this morning only to be told that her behavior is far from it? I asked teacher if she talked with DD one-on-one about her behavior. Teach responds no I don't have time to do that. DD is shy/quiet around teacher, opposite of how she is at home or other people. Any advice to get DD in a productive environment, she knows the work but will not demonstrate this in class to the teacher.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:47 AM on Sep. 19, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• If the teacher can't make time, go above her. A good teacher WILL ALWAYS make a few minutes for a talk one on one with a student.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:49 AM on Sep. 19, 2009

• the teacher should make the time to spend a few mins with her. especially in kindergarten, they normally have an assistant b/c of the kid's age. so she can have the assistant supervise the other children in an activity while she pulls your dd aside to talk to her.
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 12:53 AM on Sep. 19, 2009

• What kind of a teacher don't have time for her students, how does she help them when they need help.
    looovemybabies

Answer by looovemybabies at 2:01 AM on Sep. 19, 2009

• What is the behavior and when does it happen? Your expectations may be far different than teachers. I have found that teachers (even in kindergarden) expect far more than what should be expected. Also if behavior is so bad why weren't you notified long before this? If you do not get communication from teacher how are you to address the problem? I would be calling for a parent/teacher conferance before my dd gets labled.

higherboundmom

Answer by higherboundmom at 10:45 AM on Sep. 19, 2009

• What good is a teacher like that? "your kid is not behaving, but I dont' have time to tell her how to behave" Why is that person even a teacher?
    minimo77

Answer by minimo77 at 5:09 PM on Sep. 19, 2009

• You need to ask your child if the teacher has done anything that made her feel uncomfortable. You might need to look into changing teachers. After all, this is your child's start to the rest of her school career and you wouldn't want her confidence destroyed by one teacher.
    onehotTXmama

Answer by onehotTXmama at 3:17 PM on Sep. 21, 2009