How to calm down my OVERLY hyper pitbull puppy?

My pit is about 4 months old and she is so hyper! She is the most friendly, and loving dog ever, but she jumps on me and my kids or however else comes over my house. I literally have to use her collar and leash to keep her from jumping on the mail lady when she drops off packages(that I have to sign for). As soon as she is off the leash, she JETS!!! I dont know how to control her or what to expect, even. I know that she is only playing but what do I do?

Asked by sugahmamma at 1:01 AM on Sep. 19, 2009 in Pets

• I have seen on TV to turn around and give the dog your back. Just keep your back to the dog until it calms down. They thrive on ANY kind of attention, so give them none until they are calm. Then once the dog is calm turn around and praise him.

This worked for my dog, he doesn't jump on me, he does on DH because he lets him.

Answer by RaeLynn1221 at 8:24 AM on Sep. 19, 2009

• I used to have a pit like that.
    When she jumps on you put your knee up. It will prevent her from jumping on you but it wont hurt her either. Do it EVERY TIME and tell her No. No jumping. for the other things ...i suggest learning how to dog train or paying for a dog trainer.

Answer by outstandingLove at 1:03 AM on Sep. 19, 2009

Answer by Anonymous at 1:07 AM on Sep. 19, 2009

Answer by Anonymous at 1:09 AM on Sep. 19, 2009

• Put your knee up. It ends it. My dog got tired of my uncle's boney azz kneed poking her and she stopped jumping on strangers.

Answer by OneToughMami at 1:12 AM on Sep. 19, 2009

• No butt busting needed.Thump his nose. It works. my dad is a creep and told me so.

Answer by Anonymous at 3:34 AM on Sep. 19, 2009

• I've stopped our dog from doing that. I raise my hands up by my head and say, "Ack". Then I turn my body from him and if he keeps coming, I'll put my knee up. Now, I just have to raise my hands and he sits in front of me. Such a smart puppy!

Answer by Glutenfreebaby at 10:12 AM on Sep. 19, 2009

• Like everyone said, the knee thing or turning your back will work for jumping. As for the hyperactivity, you need to take that dog on walks! And I'm not talking about just a ten minute walk to relieve herself. I'm talking about a 45 minute to 1 hour walk EVERY DAY because, as they say, a tired dog is a good dog. My boxer/pit gets an hour long walk every night, and even though he's already 4 and very well trained, he needs it to wind down.
    Also, I highly recommend puppy classes. They'll lay the groundwork for the basics, and you can continue training at home.

Answer by SarahLeeMorgan at 1:34 PM on Sep. 19, 2009

• Training and a little snip from the vet between the legs...

Answer by Anonymous at 2:20 PM on Sep. 19, 2009

• Turn your back to the dog and walk away.

Answer by Anonymous at 10:22 PM on Sep. 19, 2009