what are some ideas on how to get my 3 yr old son potty trained?

my son is 3 and we have tried numerous attempts at potty training him. we have also done alot of research but he is so stubborn. He knows what hes suppose to do but he wont do it!!! HELP ME PLEASE!!!!!!!!!

JJATCzeck

Asked by JJATCzeck at 1:05 AM on Sep. 19, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• When he goes to the bathroom, Get REALLY excited for him/her! Make your child think that this was the best thing & exciting thing of the day. I always gave my son a whooo hooo, high five & then let him know how awesome he was. I also would then take him to my money jar & let him pick out something. (he didn't know the difference from a penny to a quarter at the time) ha! Then he would go put it in his little bank in his room & when we went to the store he could buy a little treat. We had fun with it! They just want us to show them how proud we are of them & when you show it, they like the reaction enough to do it often. Good luck!
    onespecialmom

Answer by onespecialmom at 1:16 AM on Sep. 19, 2009

• 1.Throw out the pull-ups 2.put him in underwear 3. reward him when he goes where he's supposed to 4. discipline him when he doesnt (nothing harsh) if he's in undies and has an accident there'll be a mess have him sit in "time-out" until your done cleaning it. At 3 he know the basic difference of right and wrong. Finally If you do use pullups switch him back to diapers ,no 3 year old wants to be a baby,and if he does make it no fun take away his big boy toys! Good Luck!!

allycally

Answer by allycally at 1:19 AM on Sep. 19, 2009

• Basically what the other mom said, just put regular underwear on him.. There will be accidents, plenty of them but don't give in. Also don't push, the more you push the more they regress. My son was nearly 4 before he was completely potty trained so just try letting him go on his own time. DON'T punish your child for having an accident, that is one of the worst things you can do with potty training as it makes them fearful of pottying. If he poops in his pants, make him help clean them out.
    KalebsMommee

Answer by KalebsMommee at 1:47 AM on Sep. 19, 2009

• My son is 3 and isnt potty trained. Is ur son up to date with other milestones? If not dont push it if so go with what allycally says. Good luck my son is behind everywhere the last thing im worried about is getting him potty trained.
    Lacrisha

Answer by Lacrisha at 1:47 AM on Sep. 19, 2009

• "Finally If you do use pullups switch him back to diapers ,no 3 year old wants to be a baby,and if he does make it no fun take away his big boy toys!"

That is one of the WORST things to do.. Even at 3 they don't quite understand the full baby/diaper thing so for him It will just make him easier to poop/pee in his pants.
    KalebsMommee

Answer by KalebsMommee at 1:48 AM on Sep. 19, 2009

• Definitely get rid of the pull-ups, only use them at night. If your a SAHM even better. First of all make sure you have a stool, and kids size toilet seat (with characters). As soon as he wakes up tell him "ok big boy today we r going to do great and go in the toilet all day"..u will have lots of accidents, but make sure not to be harsh on him (big boys don't pee in their underwear let's try this again ok). Keep him in underwear all day, but most important lots of praise, hugs and kisses. I potty trained my son when he was 1 1/2 yrs old, and DD when she turned 2. Good luck mom : )
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:56 PM on Sep. 19, 2009

• STOP pushing him, he will train when he is ready. My son was the same way, when I stopped pushing him he trained in a matter of days.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 9:03 PM on Sep. 19, 2009