Is your baby a racist?

I was asked this or yelled at by a man in the store today! Why..... well it is ALL OVER the check stands in the store on a "news weekly" I think it was. Now my husband was pissed! He told him NO! I said to the man calmly I gave birth to this child How could he be racist? My son loves everyone regardless of color! I pretty sure he doesn't even notice anyone's flaws or differences! I hate what BULL they put on the covers!
Does stuff like this set you off?

BTW the man asked us over and over! (he was white.)

momavanessa

Asked by momavanessa at 1:20 AM on Sep. 19, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• I am confused?
    OneToughMami

Answer by OneToughMami at 1:26 AM on Sep. 19, 2009

• Me too
    MommyLee08

Answer by MommyLee08 at 1:30 AM on Sep. 19, 2009

• hmm. idk. i think they have a point. I asked my sons today about the different colors. They were very well aware of the colors of people. And my youngest got very upset that he was whiter then his older brother and I. He said it was a bad thing that we were not the same.
    When i asked them questions they also said other things that really upset me. I'm glad they are bringing it up in the news and i hope that more parents are talking to their children about race.
    I truly feel that i helped put aside some misunderstandings that my sons had. They are almost 4yrs and almost 5yrs.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 1:31 AM on Sep. 19, 2009

• My son used to cry when he saw black people. We lived in a very small town and there were no people of color at all. So when he was about 8 months old we went to my moms home and my aunt and uncle were there. My uncle is black he picked my son up and started screaming like he was afraid. He did this when my brothers wife who was also black picked him up. Later that day we went to a friends home her and her husband are black my son screamed when they came near him. He was freaked out by black people. It only took a couple days and he was fine. He didn't know what to think I guess only seen white people to that point.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:36 AM on Sep. 19, 2009

• my son doesnt see "race." All he know is that he is light brown and that some ppl are beige, and some are dark brown. He was asking me this question a few weeks ago on a Marta train and everyone that heard him just smiled. Kids are not born that way they are taught. My kids will never understand what that means to "be," and neither will I.

sugahmamma

Answer by sugahmamma at 1:39 AM on Sep. 19, 2009

• No. My oldest was 9 when she figured out there differences, largely because some little jerk told her she didn't like white people. Bear came home and said, mommy, my new friend doesn't like white people!

Me, choking, very delicately, honey, what color do you think you are?

Bear, examines arm, well, kind of brown.
    Me, what color do you think mommy is?

Bear, oh you are WHITE!

And daddy?

WHITE!

I just looked at her for a second, and she kind of slumped.
    Never thought I would have to have that conversation, or the one that followed.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 1:41 AM on Sep. 19, 2009

• I am still confused. My daughter doesn't care what you look like, to say she can't see differences is just ignorant. Of course she knows mommy is "Peach" and daddy is "Brown"...of course this is according to a 6 year old with a box of Crayola...her one friend is Apricot. Well, anyway she is more interested in knowing your ethnicity because she thinks cultures are really neat. So she will ask someone what they are and if they say "White." She will say "No! Like what are you? I'm Irish and Spanish!" Being able to differentiate is not a bad thing. The bad part is when you believe because you are a certain race or ethnicity you are better than everyone else or when you believe a certain race or ethnicity is beneath you. Realizing people are different is normal.

OneToughMami

Answer by OneToughMami at 1:50 AM on Sep. 19, 2009

• I tell my four year it don't matter what color people are, inside we are all made of the same organs that make us all human and created by God.
    looovemybabies

Answer by looovemybabies at 2:22 AM on Sep. 19, 2009

• My DD is 6 and calls people by their literal color - peach skin, brown skin. It doesn't MATTER to her if someone has peach skin or brown skin (and she will, too, describe someone as having peach skin, "like me" she says - even if not asked what 'color' someone is). She likes everyone and wants to be friends with everyone. We don't call people names and we don't dislike people because of how they look. If we don't like somebody, it can be because they are mean or rude, ect but NOT because of what anybody looks like.
    Blubuni99

Answer by Blubuni99 at 2:33 AM on Sep. 19, 2009

• I am confused about the ? what the heck are they talking about.?cover it is all over and the man who yelled out what ? huh>; /.. well after this 18 year old black ghetto girl tried to kick my 5 year old daughter in the face for almost tripping her, yes my daughter is racist to these dumb black ghetto people.. and by the the way i kicked the black 18yr girls a#$%#! i guess these black ghetto people ask for it.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:36 AM on Sep. 19, 2009