Hormone induced acne

Every month right after I ovulate my face breaks out something fierce! Pimples continually pop up until just after my period ends but they are so bad that I still have the residual effects left over once my next cycles comes around. Does anyone else have this problem or know what I can do to make it not so bad?

I always got severe acne during cycles when I was a teen but never all over my face. I only had certain zones. Although now it does seem to be worse on my left side than my right. I have tried washing my face with bar soap, facial bar soap, facial cream cleansers, scrubs, even ProActiv did not work. I will be 25 in six months and thought I was way past acne and it only affected the majority of teens.

Please help!!

MamaCass05

Asked by MamaCass05 at 1:41 AM on Sep. 19, 2009 in Beauty & Style

• Before buying or selling any body care products, it is important to check the safety of the ingredients. I like the Skin Deep database maintained by the Environmental Working Group (the folks who publish the guide to pesticides in produce). http://www.ewg.org/

Avon and Mary Kay, among others, make a big public show of their support of breast cancer research and victims, yet refuse to stop using cancer causing ingredients in their products.

Here is how my teen handles her acne: wash your face twice a day with a very mild soap (like unscented baby soap) and a soft wash cloth; follow with a light, oil free moisturizer (she uses Lush). Once a day, before you wash your face, put on a honey mask (just honey, a great anti-bacterial). Every three days add a pinch of baking soda to the honey to exfoliate. Check back with me in two weeks and tell me how this worked.

Answer by rkoloms at 4:00 PM on Sep. 23, 2009

• lol...sorry, i had to laugh because at 40, i still get the occasional breakout...and they still tell me its hormones!
    thehairnazi

Answer by thehairnazi at 3:12 AM on Sep. 19, 2009

• I would have no problem if this was occasional, but its constant. My face is never clear, and its not like a pimple here or a pimple there. Im turning into crater face. LOL
    MamaCass05

Answer by MamaCass05 at 3:27 AM on Sep. 19, 2009

• Really the only thing that ever helped me was seeing a dermatologist. They usually start out with the mildest treatments first, and go from there

...but they are very good at what they do....I wish I had gone to one years earlier instead of trying all the random over-the-counter stuff first.
    mogencreative

Answer by mogencreative at 2:17 PM on Sep. 19, 2009

• Im about to be 40 and deal with them due to my HRT's.. (hormone replacement, yeah Im old.. lol) But I use a prescription called Duac (topical gel - clindamycin, 1% - benzoyl peroxide, 5%) and it has been the BEST thing EVER.. I use it at night before bed and saw results quickly. My regular doc writes my script for mine for me.

Only thing, it will take color off anything, so dont get it on clothes and wash hands after applying if you do use it. And make sure your pillow cases are white.
    Melindakc

Answer by Melindakc at 6:08 PM on Sep. 19, 2009

• I've had luck with the Avon Clearskin Professionals Acne kit. I've had problems with my skin my whole life and its really helped. I like that it doesn't dry my skin out at all. You can try it at www.youravon.com/dhullum use coupon code fsany for free shipping too
    usbornebooksdh

Answer by usbornebooksdh at 2:31 PM on Sep. 20, 2009

• PROACTIVE IS EXPENSIVE, BUT HELPED WITH MY PEPERONI PIZZA FACE WHEN I WAS NOT BROKE LOL
    Amberoz

Answer by Amberoz at 12:58 AM on Sep. 22, 2009