Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

who just got threw marriage lisence instead of a wedding?

my fiance and i are just going to go to city hall and get our marriage license until we can afford a huge wedding and redo our vows. how exactly does it work to get your marriage license? no ceremony involved right? details please ladies!

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 2:59 AM on Sep. 19, 2009 in Relationships

Answers (13)
  • you can go and get your liscense in the state of ohio its around 55.00 for the liscense, but my husband and i paid a minister 300.00 to do a private ceremony, however if you get the judge to do it, it will be about 60.00 or so, that's what i did with my first husband. The marriage liscense is just that just a liscense, it's not any good until you get a ordained minister or someone like a judge who marrys you to sign it, my svc was very small in the judges chambers and was over within 15 minutes. 3 things your gonna need is drivers liscense or id card, birth certificate, and social security card. I plan on having a larger wedding to re do the vows after 5 years, but a marriage liscense usually expires in 30- 60 days if it is not signed by the appopriate person, then the bottom portion has to be mailed to the court house to be put into the records for the county of whih you are married, judge and minister will take care of that.

    Answer by Bluesdawg02 at 3:06 AM on Sep. 19, 2009

  • Just keep in mind that you are not legally married until you do the service itself and get the paper signed, oh yeah congratulations and good luck, hoped this helped.

    Answer by Bluesdawg02 at 3:07 AM on Sep. 19, 2009

  • so at city hall can i get a judge to do it? i live in california, i wonder how much that is. I didnt know any of this thank you so much!! i dont want anything big because were going to have our big wedding when we have the money and redo our vows but i dont want to have to go out an buy a dress or anything right now.

    Answer by Tracey1988 at 3:12 AM on Sep. 19, 2009

  • we were going to have the huge beautiful wedding, and then i got pregnant had a molar pregnancy so with all these bills we couldnt afford it. so anything you can tell me is appreciated!!! we just cant pay alot because were going in debt with all these medical bills! thank you

    Answer by Tracey1988 at 3:14 AM on Sep. 19, 2009

  • The judge or whom ever they have to marry you at the court house, but your most deffinately going to have to make an appointment, so i'd probaly check with the court house in your county first. Good luck

    Answer by Bluesdawg02 at 3:21 AM on Sep. 19, 2009

  • Here in Colorado, I think they are $40. You have to make an appointment at the court house and take two witnesses. The judge or justice of the peace can legally marry you, and then your witnesses just have to sign. You should contact your court house to hash out the details.

    Answer by Mom1Stepmom1 at 3:40 AM on Sep. 19, 2009

  • Sorry, I was specific. I think the marriage certificate itself is $40 and the JOP fee is like $25. So I think here you can get married for $65 no ceremony, no church, no minister.

    Answer by Mom1Stepmom1 at 3:46 AM on Sep. 19, 2009

  • you can get your marriage license and then you have to be "married" by a justice of the peace.

    Answer by Anonymous at 4:05 AM on Sep. 19, 2009

  • yep anon 4:05...thats how we did it...the ceromony was like 5 min and if the judge did it, it was free...but we paid like $100 for all the paperwork and getting it noterized (sp?) and signed and what not.

    Answer by Anonymous at 6:12 AM on Sep. 19, 2009

  • You have to actually get married at city hall within 30 days of getting your license (at least in my state, VA).

    Answer by LovinMyMikayla at 7:21 AM on Sep. 19, 2009

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.