Has anyone ever been a secret shopper?

I want to try it!!! What agency did you go through? I just tried applying for one but it wanted my Credit Card. Uhh..no. Why the hell would they do that? I dont want to be involved in a scam if it is.

dennysgirl07

Asked by dennysgirl07 at 3:58 AM on Sep. 19, 2009 in Just for Fun

• what ever secret shopper asks for a credit card dont do it! my friend and i were going to and we used her credit card they said to start us we had to pay 1.99 anyways we ended up getting more money pulled out and totally screwed! Also we tried it on craigslist and they said we didnt have to pay anything, that they would send us a check to go buy whatever and do the evaluation well we went to the bank to cash it to do everything and cmon them sending us both 2,300 dollars was crazy well the checks were fake!!! be careful, i wouldnt put my credit card on anything. Just whatever u do make sure u meet these people face to face never work for someone you cant meet face to face with before, there are to many crazy people and scams out in this world! good luck
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:04 AM on Sep. 19, 2009

• I tried to sign up also but they wanted my ss#. I stopped right there.
    mollgirl

Answer by mollgirl at 6:39 AM on Sep. 19, 2009

• I would try to go to an actual stroe and speak to a manager about the agency they use for a secret shopper. If that store doesn't use a secret shopper, maybe they do know of a company that they can refer you to. I would start there. Maybe somewhere like Target or Wal-Mart.
    team21

Answer by team21 at 8:29 AM on Sep. 19, 2009

• I have been a secret shopper, but it's been a few years so I don't remember teh agency. Basically, you signed up with your email address and zip code. Then they would send you emails with shops in your area and what the shop entailed. If you wanted to do it, then you "accepted" it and they gave you a deadline when you had to do it. You do the shop and then report back what they want. When you do that, they reimburse you for your expenses and sometimes a little more (through Paypal). For example, I did Subway shops where I had to buy a 6" sub combo and test whether the cashier offered me a value meal. I was reimbursed for my sub. I did TGIFriday's where I had to buy alcohol (yay!) and tested whether they carded me or not. I got reimbursed for that. Those are just some examples. Don't ever pay to be a secret shopper.
    SherriPie

Answer by SherriPie at 8:58 AM on Sep. 19, 2009

• I thought I'd try it also, but it's a huge pain! AND they want you to make purchases and return them, but you have to take good notes, and for some companies you need to suffer through tests on their company just to be able to shop for them. Tests!! Like school!! Not for me!! And also there is the gas you have to use to get to these places. I'd rather shop for myself, and if I am treated rudely somewhere, I'm not above complaining to their management. I've even gotten free stuff by "nicely" complaining. Poor little victim me....
    DesertDance

Answer by DesertDance at 9:42 AM on Sep. 19, 2009

• I've done it, and I took the tests and that was worth it because you get the better gigs if you score well. Banks are the best jobs, no purchasing required and often, they want you to bring your children if they're in the right age range. I paid for Christmas one year secret shopping.
    Fistandantalus

Answer by Fistandantalus at 9:47 AM on Sep. 19, 2009

• A friend of mine used to, but only for one company and it was more like secret inspector - she'd go around to all their stores and report back if they were messy or rude, etc. She didn't go through one of the secret shopper services, she was hired directly by the store.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 10:28 AM on Sep. 19, 2009

• Girl, don't get involved in agencies.  Read this and try it.  It's exactly what I did.  I worked for Famous Barr and Target this way:

How to Start Your Own Mystery Shopping Service

m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 10:57 AM on Sep. 19, 2009

• I worked as a secret shopper for a couple years. Didn't make a whole lot of money, but it was fun and I got free stuff! There are lots of mystery shopping companies online, I used to know a site with links to all the good ones but that was on my old computer that froze up and I couldn't get anything off it. My suggestion would be to look up secret shopping directory. I think I paid like, $3.99 to get access to the list, it was a one time charge (supposed to be recurring but I cancelled after the first month when I'd signed up for as many as I could)
    Good luck!
    kristal2146

Answer by kristal2146 at 11:16 AM on Sep. 19, 2009

• It' s not worth it, it is a pain to do the shopping because they have to many rules, you have to buy this,and ask that and shop between this time and that time. And you don't get paid enough and it takes a long time to get paid. Not a good thing.
    QandA

Answer by QandA at 11:49 AM on Sep. 19, 2009