Is it normal for a 3 week old newborn to sleep well one night and then not so well for a few nights after?

My 3 week old has been sleeping well for 1 night then not wanting to sleep for a few days after. I have him sleeping in a basinet and there are nights where he just does not seem to like it but is fine other nights. He will also stay up for hours without napping. Any advice?

kabuda

Asked by kabuda at 8:09 AM on Sep. 19, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I am going thru the same thing with DD. She is 5 months now and had been a good sleeper and suddenly has starting screaming her head off. I have no solution but to just let you know that I'm here going thru the same thing.
    mschanng

Answer by mschanng at 8:15 AM on Sep. 19, 2009

• Yes... for the next few months you'll have good night and you'll have bad nights you just have to deal with it as best you can. And like everyone says... sleep when the baby sleeps... it's so tempting to use the time to get everything done but you'll kill yourself doing it!
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 8:34 AM on Sep. 19, 2009

• You never know what they are going to do. My daughter is 4 mos and is a pretty good sleeper. There are nights when I lay her down and she will fight to go to sleep. Then there are other nights where I lay her down and she passes out right away. Some nights she will sleep all night thru, other nights shes waking around 3or4 for a bottle. They are unpredictable. Good luck!
    Tiffany237

Answer by Tiffany237 at 8:46 AM on Sep. 19, 2009