What do you do with Champaign taste??

My 17 year old niece is very immature, she is also 8 months pregnant... I have elected to have a baby shower for her. She works part time at Pizza Hut and the father is a 22 year old 9th grade drop out, they have an apartment and NO money.

My niece went and registered a lot of VERY expensive items. She has asked for $100 car seats because they have leopard print and $120 highchairs, 2 $120 swings, $90 carrier...the list goes on. Many practical items were not included. What do you do? Do you let her know that she may not get these? Ask her to make changes? I am a little embarrassed.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:13 AM on Sep. 19, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Get her the basics, she obviously was not thinking when she chose to get pregnant by Mr. Wonderful. She needs to learn now since she obviously hasn't yet, to live within her means. This means buying what you can afford, not what you want unless you save for it. Ask her if she is willing to save her money to buy one or two of these things, if not, get what YOU feel she needs, at 17 she really doesn't have a clue anyway. Good Luck and God Bless!
    kustomkrochet

Answer by kustomkrochet at 9:19 AM on Sep. 19, 2009

• If she needs everything. Buy what you want. Where you want. I never go to where someone registered at to buy the things. I go buy things at Walmart. She is doing that because she is hoping someone will stupidly buy the stuff. If she doesn't like what you bought, OW well.

Answer by louise2 at 9:21 AM on Sep. 19, 2009

• does she have any support? anyone who is teaching her about stuff? it definately sounds like she was a kid in a toystore when doing the registry lol. well it is HER registry I dont know if you could change her mind like that if she stubborn, but perhaps you could use the registry as a "guide?" like if you see a swing similar to the one on the registry but $100 cheaper, I'd get that lol. but with those prices i'm sure you're not the only one who feels this way....if you are close to her, maybe say in a joking-way "so about this $1,000 stroller on your registry, I found one at the consignment shop, brand new, for only $50..." maybe she'd get the hint?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:21 AM on Sep. 19, 2009

• mabe she realy thinks that how much things cost,just leave it alone,people can either get them for her or get hem a cheaper version
    angelairelan

Answer by angelairelan at 9:22 AM on Sep. 19, 2009

• Those prices really don't seem crazy high to me. We went with a cheap Graco infant carseat for my DS and it was still $80 by the time you paid taxes.

But I'm with the person who wondered if she had anyone helping her out. Does she have any idea what kind of things you NEED for a baby? Not just the wants, like two swings, but diapers and clothes and things like that?

Maybe tell her that you're not trying to be mean, but some of those things are very expensive and not things she needs. Offer to help her out and maybe change her registry to more practical, not so expensive things. She may not know these things...

And as far as some of the higher priced things that ARE more practical and needed, maybe see if 3 or 4 people will chip in to buy the one big thing together.

Cavalrybaby02

Answer by Cavalrybaby02 at 9:30 AM on Sep. 19, 2009

• Well some of those prices don't seem too high to me. But if it isn't in your and your familys budget then I would just get things that would match her taste but cheaper.
    I know I was guilty of purchasing things because I like the colors and patterns, that's probobly what she's doing too
    BambiF

Answer by BambiF at 9:56 AM on Sep. 19, 2009

• It sounds like she need to hear a voice of reason. Perhaps you could gently talk some sense into her. Maybe you could let her know that the purpose of a registry is to let people know the items that are needed and what she would like. How many people does she think can honestly afford those higher priced items? Tell her she would be more likely to get things that the baby needs if she chose more moderately priced items. Let her know that it makes her seem spoiled and ingrateful and that she should appreciate the kindness of a baby shower and all who participate. A good way of showing it is not to be so picky about what other people are doing in kindness to help her. I would feel embarrased as well.
    NikkiMomof2grls

Answer by NikkiMomof2grls at 10:09 AM on Sep. 19, 2009

• Niece has a stepmother that is suppose to guide her along. When I try to talk to her about bf (she wants to) and just general baby stuff, she has a bit of an attitude. We are not too close and she has a "I can do this already" attitude.

I have seen carriers for $30 and a Graco Car seat for $45, I considered buying one, but I really do think that she will be obviously disappointed. I also did not register 2 Swings and highchair on my registry, some items do come out of pocket...
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:18 AM on Sep. 19, 2009

• It was good of you to offer to do her baby shower but be prepared for it to be a nightmare. Most people, upon seeing the registry, may opt not to come. If anyone asks, of course tell them to buy practical gifts and not to feel obligated in any way to buy new, expensive items. If she has no money she will probably get a free car seat from the hospital or health department. The poor baby will probably need diapers in different sizes as this is probably the last thing on the girl's mind.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:40 AM on Sep. 19, 2009

• I would try and help with the immediate need basics. Infant car seat, crib, clothes, wipes and diapers diapers diapers. I would definitely AVOID gift cards of any kind as she doesn't sound mature enough to spend them on needs and not wants.

Swings are not a need, a high chair is not something they need right away. YOU know what's needed and what will really be appreciated down the road so I'd go with that, you know?
    Xynyth

Answer by Xynyth at 11:01 AM on Sep. 19, 2009