Your kids....

What kind of chores do you have your kids do?

Do you give them an allowance? How do you reward them?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:49 AM on Sep. 19, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• My kids are between 8-12 and they: clean and vacuum their own rooms and one other room of my choice, sweep the kitchen once/week, clean part of their bathroom, take out the trash, put away their own clothes, and do one load of laundry/week. They get $2/week to spend and $2/week to put in their savings account. I can see a big difference in their money management skills since we have implemented an allowance system and I like that!
    I also ask them to do other things around the house, just to help out - empty the dishwasher, wipe down the window sills/baseboards, etc.

Answer by missanc at 9:53 AM on Sep. 19, 2009

• She makes her bed (that includes stripping it for laundry, but I still have to help with the fitted sheet), She puts all her dirty clothes in the dirty clothes basket, then when it's time in the washer (I start it and put in the soap) She puts them in the dryer (I put them in a basket from the washer, I start the dryer) She takes them out of the dryer, I let her fold the wash clothes, socks, and underwear, She picks up toys, she helps me dust, helps load the dishwasher, she helps cook, she helps vacume,
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:07 AM on Sep. 19, 2009

• My kids help with whatever I ask/tell them to do, they are ages 9, 13 and 15. They do dishes, laundry, put their clothes away, they are responsible for their own room, I wont go in there, they vacuum, sweep and mop, take out trash and help with the animals. I do not pay them, I will not pay them, they live here, and it takes everyone that lives here to keep the house together. They get everything they ask for with in reason, and do not need/want for anything. I do not think they should get paid because having a clean house is not something any of us get paid for. They have to learn that it is everyone's responsibility to help. They also need to learn how to take care of their own house, Im not coming to clean it when they move out :)
    SuperMomof3kids

Answer by SuperMomof3kids at 11:13 AM on Sep. 19, 2009

• My 9, 8 and almost 7 year olds basically take care of themselves. They clean their own rooms and any messes they make, do their own laundry (from washing to drying and putting away), empty the dishwasher, sweep, clean tables/counters, take out the trash/recycling, help carry in groceries, dust, and anything else I ask them to do.
    They don't get allowance. It's just expected that they pitch in and help clean up their messes.
    My 3yo is basically responsible for all the same stuff except laundry. All she has to do is put it in her basket and sometimes she helps fold and put it away. But she does (or tries to do) everything else on the list.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 2:06 PM on Sep. 19, 2009

• My 6 yr old basically just cleans his room and cleans up any messes he makes. Now and then we ask him to do something else but not on a regular basis...As he gets older he'll have more to do.
    stepmom929

Answer by stepmom929 at 9:56 PM on Sep. 20, 2009