How is this fair and just?

For those who oppose same sex marriage tell me how this is fair? My lesbian daughter had ear surgery recently, she went with her lifetime partner to the hospital with their domestic partnership to give her partner a say in her well being in case anything went wrong. They told her they didn't recognize her as family and wasn't allowed to enter in the recovery room without me, how is this just?

Asked by older at 10:07 AM on Sep. 19, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

Level 69 (2,285,492 Credits)
  • Situations like this are exactly why same sex marriage should be made legal and recognized in every state! It is not fair that my DH and I can be responsible for each other but my BIL and his partner can never be legally responsible for each other. If you are an engaged or living together straight couple, yes the rules are the same as for same sex couples, but you have the option to get married that they do NOT have.
    goaliemom93

Answer by goaliemom93 at 10:57 AM on Sep. 19, 2009

• If I was just engaged to my husband, I wouldn't be allowed in the recovery room either unless he had made specific arrangements prior to the surgery to allow me to be with him. No difference. You can blame this on the Privacy Act and the hospital trying not to be sued. It is a double edged sword. If they don't let her back, they are being cruel, and if they do, your daughter could sue them. Just like my "fiance" could if I were let back.
    jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 10:13 AM on Sep. 19, 2009

• I think your daughters partner should have had the right to be with your daughter in recovery, without the drama.

tyme4me2day

Answer by tyme4me2day at 10:14 AM on Sep. 19, 2009

• jesse123456, they had a domestic partnership, they just chose to ignore it, you can't sue if there are no damages, and emotional stress does not constitute damage.

Answer by older at 10:16 AM on Sep. 19, 2009

• jesse is right. Next time just say that she is my wife. A life partner is a spouse.

YOU DO NEED THE GOVERNMENT TO TELL YOU THAT.
    gammie

Answer by gammie at 10:18 AM on Sep. 19, 2009

• Older, I'm sorry. That isn't fair. What state do you live in?
    Grandmarga

Answer by Grandmarga at 10:20 AM on Sep. 19, 2009

• That is just crappy. I would have raised hell. Hope your daughter is doing okay.
    mancosmomma

Answer by mancosmomma at 10:23 AM on Sep. 19, 2009

• Grandmarga, I live in Florida, and a lot of hospitals do recognize the domestic partnership but it takes one a**hole to decide they aren't going to honor it.

Answer by older at 10:23 AM on Sep. 19, 2009

• mancosmomma, my daughter is just fine thank you, and boy did I raise hell!!!!!, it got me nowhere though.

Answer by older at 10:25 AM on Sep. 19, 2009

• Why not just have your daughter list her partner as "next of kin?" What if your daughter had no other living relatives, would they deny a "close friend" the access to assume the role of next of kin?

Perhaps this could be stated in a Living Will for the future? I should think the hospital would have to respect the stipulations and named executors of the Living Will?
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 10:27 AM on Sep. 19, 2009