Sliding car seat trouble.

We have leather seats in our car and no matter which seat (right, left, middle) you put the base in, it still slides when you make a turn. It's in according to the instructions that came with it and we use the anchor. This obviously makes me extremely nervous. Is there anything to help with this?

It's a rear-facing car seat if that makes a difference.

jennifercalling

Asked by jennifercalling at 10:24 AM on Sep. 19, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Get the Mighty Tight from Sunshine kids. It's about 20 dollars, but is WELL worth it. we have that problem in my FIL's truck, and the mighty tight has been EXTENSIVELY tested and does not compromise the safety of the seat in ANY way, but gets the seat good and tight. Also, you can roll up a towel or get one of the noodles made for car seat installation. That my help with the sliding also. You roll it up and put it where the back of the seat (the car's actual seat) meets the seat part where the seat belt buckles are. We have one of those clips too, and it doesn't work at all in keeping the seat tight in the truck. Every other car we've been able to get it right, but that truck for some reason is just difficult. You can also try a non slip mat that is made to go under the seat that has also been extensively crash tested. That may work as well. We got all our tips from Safe Kids car seat techs during a check on our seat.
    21noahsmama21

Answer by 21noahsmama21 at 12:42 PM on Sep. 19, 2009

• It shouldn't slide if you have it tight enough. Make sure it's very tight. Don't worry about damaging the seats... the leather will pop back into place.
    Sometimes using the thin shelf liner that grips is also okay... but make sure you don't use anything thick like a seat protector, they aren't okay to use.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 10:41 AM on Sep. 19, 2009

• I would try to get those rubber/spongy things you can use to put in cabinets, and put underneith. Ikea also has this sticky, grey material, kinda looks like a thin blanket, that you put underneith rugs. That might work out. Good Luck.
    LilyandEmmasMom

Answer by LilyandEmmasMom at 10:42 AM on Sep. 19, 2009

• We do put it in really tightly. We even use one of the clips that holds the seat belt in a tight position.
    jennifercalling

Answer by jennifercalling at 11:31 AM on Sep. 19, 2009

• I'd get to a local tech and make sure it is properly installed. Also, the non slip stuff that you put under a rug is safe to use under a car seat. But first priority would be to go to a tech.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 11:32 AM on Sep. 19, 2009

• I agree with finding a car seat tech to help you - a lot of fire stations and hospitals have them, or they or the police dept. can direct you where to find one.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:34 AM on Sep. 19, 2009

• Get a carseat tech to put it in right for you. It can be tough to get them tight sometimes! Look for "Safe Kids" carseat checks in your area, and call the fire departn=ment and police stations to ask if they have someone who can do it.
    Don't put anything under the seat.
    RanaAurora

Answer by RanaAurora at 11:53 AM on Sep. 19, 2009

• If you decide to go to a fire station or police station, make sure that the person helping you is a CPST, and that they know what they are talking about. Many people think that all cops/firefighters are certified in car seats, and MANY cops/firefighters know NOTHING about proper installation and car seat safety.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 12:24 PM on Sep. 19, 2009

• Good advice here, Also, Anchors should only be used forwards facing, not rear facing. (thats the strap that goes from the top or back of the carseat, OVER the seat of the car, to latch onto the back (or top) of the car's seat.

Like that is the Anchor... shouldn't be used while REAR facing. 

In order to get my kids' seat tight enough I literally had to sit in them myself while tightening the strap. Try getting it tighter and see if it still slides. 

wendy46121

Answer by wendy46121 at 1:16 PM on Sep. 19, 2009

• Usually your local hospital/birthing center will have a car seat technician as well. You can try calling there to see if someone can help you. I had a mechanic at my garage sit on the car seat and tighten while he was in it to stop the moving. It never moved again.
    shannipoo714

Answer by shannipoo714 at 3:51 PM on Sep. 19, 2009