should I wait?

I'm 38 weeks.

Yesterday at the doc I was 5 cm. dilated and about 75% effaced.

Last night I was having contractions, strong ones but not painful. They lasted all night.

I woke up this morning in a very irritable mood but not in pain. And then all of a sudden I felt like I was going to have a terrible period or something.

I had diarrhea BAD twice in the last hour and I'm having menstrual-like cramping. It's bad but I'm not doubled over.

Should I wait a while and see if they stick around and then go? Or should I go soon?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:05 AM on Sep. 19, 2009 in Pregnancy

• If you were dialated to 5 they should have kept you anyway!! I would go in asap! They can give you something for the pain (assuming you want it).
    teardrop_7060

Answer by teardrop_7060 at 11:07 AM on Sep. 19, 2009

• I was at the hospital last saturday and I was 4cm. and they sent me home because I wasn't making any progress. They told me yesterday if I got in terrible pain, my water breaks or I start bleeding then I should call and go in right away...

I'm just not sure though? I mean...I'm in some pain but I'm not doubled over or anything. I mean I'm on cafemom lol so it can't be THAT bad.

Should I wait and see if they pain gets worse?

Oh and I don't want any pain meds by the way

-OP
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:10 AM on Sep. 19, 2009

• The way I have heard EVERY doctor tell it, YOU WILL KNOW when you need to go in! TRUST YOUR INSTICTS! If it hurts bad enough that ou have to even THINK about going, then maybe you got something there, at least let them check you out for your own peace of mind. You don't wanna have the baby at your computer desk cuz you have a high tolerance for pain!
    teardrop_7060

Answer by teardrop_7060 at 11:13 AM on Sep. 19, 2009

• i would go in you could progress fast and not know it and end up having a baby at home. with my sil she got to the hospital and 24 min later she delivered, my nephew was literally coming out when the dr got there, the dr pinched the bag of water and there he was, that is a little to close for comfort. better to be on the safe side.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:13 AM on Sep. 19, 2009

• dang, you should have planned a home birth!
    it could be soon, or... not.

Not everyone will have the "textbook" build-up over time contractions.
    If you go in soon then you're more likely to have to labor around the hospital more, if it's not quite time yet.
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 11:16 AM on Sep. 19, 2009

• Lol that IS true...I don't wanna have her at my computer desk!

I just don't wanna look silly but the cramping is getting pretty nasty

-OP
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:21 AM on Sep. 19, 2009

• Look silly?? Woman, with my daughter I KNEW WITHOUT A DOUBT that I was in labor and they checked me and said I was at 2 and not effaced at all and there was no way the baby was coming for AT LEAST another week! I refused to let them win cuz my body knew something was going on, so I went back 6 times in the next 4 hours ... how silly do you think I looked?
    The last time I went in was only 40 minutes after the previous time when they AGAIN told me I was at 2 and to go home. 40 minutes later, they were PISSED to see me again and told me I had to wait for a room, I told them to check me in the hall, no one wanted to deal with me. When they finally did I was at 9 and ready to go, by time they adjusted the bed, I pushed and she came out!
    DON'T WORRY ABOUT LOOKING SILLY!
    teardrop_7060

Answer by teardrop_7060 at 11:51 AM on Sep. 19, 2009

• Not to scare you or anything. But, I didn't have the "Textbook" version of labor. I got sent home in false labor and was told to go home and come back when I was in so much pain I couldn't take it anymore. Well, by the time the pain got unbearable for me I was at 10 cm. Barely made it in the hospital before he was born. If you are unsure call your doctor or go ahead and go in and see what they say. Good luck!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:42 PM on Sep. 19, 2009

• You sound like you might be in early labor. The hospital may or not keep you. Call first.
    sweetmoonem

Answer by sweetmoonem at 1:31 PM on Sep. 19, 2009