How can I get my 6 month old to sleep in his own bed all night?

When my son was 4 months old he started sleeping through the night. He would sleep in his own bed from about 9 till about 6am. Now that he has gotten older though he has stopped. Now he is starting to wake up about 3 times a night to eat and once he gets up he will not go back to his own crib, he will just cry and cry untill I take him back to my bed. I know this is a bad habit to get into but he will fight the sleep for hours on end when he is in his bed and as soon as I go to get him out and bring him to my bed he'll be back to sleep in a matter of minutes.
He always eats right before going to bed. I just don't understand why he would be getting up to eat so often. He is eating 6 ounces about every 2-3 hours.
What can I do to get him to sleep by his self all night long?
All advice welcome. I really need help with this.

BlainesMommy09

Asked by BlainesMommy09 at 11:11 AM on Sep. 19, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• just do it gradually. start with naps and make sure he sleeps in his own bed the whole time. there's no way he can get in bed with you if you're not sleeping. and at night time as long as he can't get out jus let him cry himself back to sleep. it doesn't hurt him, and he'll eventually go back to sleep. you can obviously go check to make sure he's alright, but if he sees you it'll make it worse, because then he'll have some hope of getting out of his bed, and fight the wholefalling asleep thing more
    AutumnStarre

Answer by AutumnStarre at 11:17 AM on Sep. 19, 2009

• It looks to me you created this habit, and he enjoys this time, he is only six months old enjoy that glorious age that will soon end, rock him to sleep, it will deprive you of yours but will create an undying bond well worth it.

Answer by older at 11:19 AM on Sep. 19, 2009

• Sounds like a growth spurt. Some babies need to wake up and eat, not all of them sleep through the night by that age. One of mine didn't start sleeping through the night regularly til 18 months old. If he's waking that often to eat, try feeding him more at once, 7 or 8 oz instead of 6. Do NOT get in the habit of taking him in your bed - break that habit NOW - the longer you allow it the longer it'll take to break him of it. When he wakes up, give him his bottle, snuggle him, and put him back to bed. You'll be tired, but it'll take a few days to get him in the habit, and in the long run it'll be better than trying to force anything or letting him in your bed.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:32 AM on Sep. 19, 2009

• Babies' sleeping patterns change many times in the first few years. It could be teething, a growth spurt, separation anxiety or a number of other things. Babies naturally want to sleep with their parents. It is not a bad habit. I don't like sleeping alone. Do you?
    aehanrahan

Answer by aehanrahan at 2:41 PM on Sep. 19, 2009

• I dont have any advice for you because ive co slept with all 3 of my kids, only my 2nd really ever slept in a crib and that was of his own doing, he just one day decided that he was going to sleep in the crib, he was 7 months old. My baby now is 11 months old and still in the bed with us and still waking at night to nurse at least several times...I just roll over and let him latch on and continue sleeping the best I can, when he is done he rolls back over and goes back to sleep and I roll over and get comfy again....it works out pretty well for us.

Please dont put anything in his bottle to make him sleep longer, cerial in the bottle in a choking hazard and its honestly a myth that it makes them sleep longer, babies naturally start to sleep longer at a certain point (some babies, not all) and it has nothing to do with the cerial, many moms will beg to differ but its really just not healthy to do that.
    jlizgar

Answer by jlizgar at 12:13 AM on Sep. 20, 2009