something popping out of my vagina? TMI

Okay, so I'm 17 weeks pregnant. I have been very constipated, and the other day while pushing, something came out of my vagina (no, not poo). I freaked out, thinking it was my baby (thank God it wasn't!). But I don't know what it was. I read about prolapsed bladders and uteruses, but I couldn't find any images that looked like what I saw (looked with a mirror to make sure it wasn't my baby). It was pinkish, small, less than the size of half a fist (width wise),about 3 or 4 inches and it was only half out. Lots of pressure even after, like I still needed to push (but not poo). It has since gone back in, whatever it was (after 36 hours and being in LOTS of pain). Any ideas on what it could be if not prolapsed bladder or uterus? I have a prenatal appointment on Monday, and would like to talk to the doctor about it, but I want to know if it's something I should go to the ER for (I'm still hurting, but like I said, it's back in).

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:16 AM on Sep. 19, 2009 in Health

• I would call your doc today and ask if you should wait for your appt or go to er. He/she might say go to L&D to get checked. If it's not too much trouble, could you come back and tell us what it is when you find out?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:18 AM on Sep. 19, 2009

• Maybe it is your colon. The same kinda thing happened to my mother in law. She strained to hard and it made her colon pop out. Her's always went back in a couple of times before it just popped out and stayed out. She had to have a simple surgery where they tacked it back in. I'd say you should get checked by a doctor real soon especially where you are pregnant.
    BlainesMommy09

Answer by BlainesMommy09 at 11:20 AM on Sep. 19, 2009

• OP HERE-I'm in Japan right now (DH is in the military), so it's after Midnight here... I either have to go to the ER or wait til Monday for my appointment, but when I find out I will definitely let you all know. I didn't know about the prolapsed bladders and uteruses until I did a little reseach, but it's all I could find on things "popping" out. I'm hoping it's nothing serious, since it all went back to where it's supposed to be (well, atleast not popping out, the ultrasound I get on Monday I will see if they will make sure everything is in place). I'm still hurting, but not to where I can't move, like I was yesterday and the night before.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:22 AM on Sep. 19, 2009

• It sounds like either a cystocele or a rectocele, where either the bladder or the colon fall forward into the vaginal vault. It's serious, but not life threatening. You will definately need to talk to your doctor, but I dont' think you need to go to the ER. It can make pushing during delivery hard and do a lot of damage if it goes untreated, so make a point to mention it and get treatment. But don't freak out because you're not in any immediate danger.

Also, up your fiber intake, like, a lot. Or talk to your doctor about taking a stool softener for a little while until the constipation abates.
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 11:27 AM on Sep. 19, 2009

• A friend of mine had a cyst on her bladder and had something similar happen. It was attached to her bladder, I can't remember if it was the cyst or the bladder that started to prolapse, but she did need to have medical care. She was pregnant also, but further along than you are.
    I would call the doctor right away to get her opinion, just to be safe.
    Six_on_my_own

Answer by Six_on_my_own at 11:43 AM on Sep. 19, 2009

• I'd be freaking out and going to the ER immediately. I've had 5 babies and never had anything like that...for the safety of your baby I suggest going to the ER - better safe than sorry!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:07 PM on Sep. 19, 2009

• After my hysterectomy I had a prolapsed bladder and had to have another surgery to fix it..... apparently it wasnt that bad, but of course I wasnt pregnant. My biggest problem was not being able to hold my urine (UGH!!!!) and it felt like I was always about to pee my pants! How awful. I imagine it is painful because of the wt of the baby and such also...... call your doc, they may want you to come in sooner than monday, I know state side there is a nurse line for the military, I assume there is one there also...... It may change the course of your delivery, you may not be able to deliver vaginally. My guess is that it is your bladder....... It isnt life threatening, not that I have ever heard, and I know in older women who cant have surgery they insert something to hold everything up. call your doc though, he will want/need to know
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:41 PM on Sep. 19, 2009

• OP here-
    The doctor said it was a Cervical Prolapse. He said it's nothing to worry about now, since it's back in, but should it come out again, go to L&D, and that they would have to put a pessiary (I think that's what it's called) in until after the baby is born, then surgery... Yikes! Thanks for all the help ladies!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:32 AM on Sep. 21, 2009