Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Desperate Need Of Help Getting my GED

I dropped out of highschool my freshmen year and that was in 2002, I would say I'm VERY Street-Smart but not vert smart when it comes to ecidemics. I need a tooter real bad or maybe take some classes. Does anybody know of any good methods or if the Washington County Communoty College offers any GED classes to help prepare for the actual test, Any info you get give me would be sooo greatly appreciated. Thanks again. My biggest struggles are Math... algreba, gemomentry, and all that type of stuff, I'm not worried about English and the essay that was the only things I was ever good at in school lol... Basically just math, and history, and some science. Please Help!!!!!!!

Answer Question

Asked by Briana_N_Me06 at 11:45 AM on Sep. 19, 2009 in

Level 1 (0 Credits)
Answers (9)
  • Call the local school board office and ask them where the free GED classes are. I'm sure they would be glad to send you to a class or refer you to a tutor. Meanwhile go by the library and pick up a copy of the GED book and see what you can do on your own to get started.

    Answer by admckenzie at 11:50 AM on Sep. 19, 2009

  • Contact a community college, a local job center or ask at a high school or school district central office. Go to the library or bookstore and get a book about the GED. Make sure it has practice tests, explanations and examples to practice on.

    Answer by tyfry7496 at 9:42 PM on Sep. 19, 2009

  • I agree with the first poster. You shouldn't have to pay for the classes, just the test when it's time to take it.


    Answer by Anonymous at 10:58 AM on Sep. 20, 2009

  • I took mine in 2000... when I went they gave me a pretest which I past and then I went and took the test. I am no good at math and scored "below avaerage" on that part but above average on the other parts so it evened out and I passed.

    My younger brother on the other hand quite school in like 8th grade, way before me and waited for several years after to take the ged. He failed the pre-test so my dad had to pay for him to take GED classes which I think he did at a vocational school... he finally passed those classes but still has been to lazy to take the test.

    I would suggest calling the school board and finding out about the pretest... take that and see where you stand because a lot has changed since I took it and since you were in school. The longer your out the harder it gets. You can also get a study book from the linbrary. Check here:

    Answer by MomofWildcats at 9:27 PM on Sep. 20, 2009

  • I will add that if you need a tutor you do have to pay for those classes... I was never able to find them for free.. you'd think they'd want to help you get your GED but they still want to take your money too.

    Answer by MomofWildcats at 9:29 PM on Sep. 20, 2009

  • I am not sure about where you are but in Indiana and Texas they have free classes and you take a pre- test to see what you strengths are and to place you to see where you need to study and then the classes are like 2 days a week but you just call the school board and see when the classes start and go and then the teacher will tell you when you are ready to go take your test I can tell you every thing you need to know will be in front of you the math portion has the formulas and all that you do need to study because you need to know how to apply the formulas so I hope I could help

    Answer by beth214201986 at 9:17 AM on Sep. 21, 2009

  • Check out your library , they might have a GED test help book so you can be more prepared.

    Answer by candycane337 at 2:22 PM on Sep. 21, 2009

  • Thanks for all the help from ALL of you! Thats so awesome that you left a reply beacuse at first I didnt think anybody would even read it, haha. But I'm going tyo look into it for sure, because I need to step up and start donig something with my life, for my daughters sake. Thanks again :-) :-)

    I appreciate it so much, and love you all!


    Oh and I'm alllllllllll the way up in Maine!!!!!

    Answer by Briana_N_Me06 at 8:17 PM on Sep. 21, 2009

  • your county human services dept can give you information about free GED classes.
    ALSO not to be mean but from your spelling I would def get some help with your english.
    Your spelling and grammer is not as good as you think it is..

    Answer by SaturnsMom at 6:11 PM on Sep. 22, 2009

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.