Viaticum and last rites? Whats the difference?

I only searched one place. My computer is slow so I don't like to research much on the computer. Does anyone know if these are one in the same? two different sacraments? or if viaticum is not a sacrament.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:46 AM on Sep. 19, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• I'm not Catholic but in googling it seems to be the same thing. I'll let a Catholic who knows for sure answer too though

Answer by admckenzie at 12:00 PM on Sep. 19, 2009

• "Last Rites" is a combination of sacraments/rites and it includes "Viaticum" which the Holy Communion given when someone is close to death. So Viaticum is part of Last Rites.

There are seven Catholic sacraments including Annointing of the Sick (or "Extreme Unction" as it's also known). Sometimes people confuse Last Rites with Annointing of the Sick - but they're not the same. Last Rites actually consists of 3 sacraments - the Annointing of the Sick, Confession/Reconcilation and Holy Communion/Viaticum.
    eringobrough

Answer by eringobrough at 12:24 PM on Sep. 19, 2009