Comparing my baby to other babies...

Do you compare your baby to other babies? Theres this little boy in my neighborhood who is 7 months, my DS is 10 months. This little boy is over 20 pounds while mine has just recently hit the 20 pound mark (though I myself am naturally thin) but this little boy also says 4 words. My son only says 2 and one of which isnt really a "word" ("baba") Am I doing something?

AdensMommy1107

Asked by AdensMommy1107 at 12:22 PM on Sep. 19, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Don't worry about the other baby. Your baby is just fine. Your doing fine.
    sopheeahsmommy

Answer by sopheeahsmommy at 12:36 PM on Sep. 19, 2009

• one daughter was 15 pounds at 1 year, another was 11 pounds at 7 months (not diagnosed with failure to thrive) current baby is 16 pounds at 7 months; first daughter walked at 15 months and was completly potty trained at 18 months second daughter walked at 18 months and didn't potty train until three and still has accidents and she is almost four, third daughter is only 7 months months but she is walking with help and sat up on her own at 4 months...oldest son walked at 10 months, potty trained at 2.5 years and talked before he was 2. The point I'm trying to make is kids are different they delvelop differently your son sounds good and most kids don't talk until 18 months at least.
    matthewscandi

Answer by matthewscandi at 1:07 PM on Sep. 19, 2009

• Yup, I compare too. But my kid always "wins"
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:22 PM on Sep. 19, 2009

• My son is 6 months and weighs 16 lbs. I went to a party last weekend and two 4 month olds ( 4 1/2 and 4 and 1 week) were there. One was as big as my son and the other was quite a bit smaller. One of the 4 month olds was all floppy (the bigger, slightly older one). The other 4 month old could already sit assisted. Neither of them were babbling yet and my son had babbled at 4 months 1 week and said babble-words "baba" and "mama" and now at 6 months he says "dada" and "AAHHH--BOOOOOO" when he sees the dog or cat - lol. I don't think either of them or my son is off of developmental, I think doctors all agree children should show steady -progress- and that certain children will excel in certain areas and be larger/smaller/do things sooner/later and that all that matters it the -steady progress-.
    JamesAndMe

Answer by JamesAndMe at 2:20 PM on Sep. 19, 2009

• I unfortunately do this, I can't help it! My good friends and I all have children that are very close in age, so we're always saying "Is your son doing this?" ...
    ap9902

Answer by ap9902 at 4:53 PM on Sep. 19, 2009