Anyone have good lunch ideas (besides sandwiches) for kids?

We're back to school and back to the dilemma of what to make for lunch? My two older kids (13 and 15) don't want sandwiches so I'm limited on what to give them! Once in a while they like cheese quesadillas or cheese and crackers

Do you have any lunch ideas that have been successful with your kids?

netmomma29

Asked by netmomma29 at 12:33 PM on Sep. 19, 2009 in Food & Drink

• Get food thermoses. Pck with hot foods in the morning - leftovers, mac & cheese, soups, the list goes on.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:34 PM on Sep. 19, 2009

• at 13 and 15 i'd be making them make their own lunches.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 12:40 PM on Sep. 19, 2009

• I second the food thermos. Put hot water or ice in it for about 5 minutes before you pack the lunch, then dump it and put in the food. It will stay hotter/colder that way. Aside from regular leftovers, DS's favorite is mac n cheese, and usually I'll add something to it (broccoli, ham, etc) so it works as a whole meal.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 12:44 PM on Sep. 19, 2009

• Wraps with sun dried tomato tortillas or spinach or other flavors and add veggies and turkey maybe some cheese with some soup. Healthier pizza and salad.

geminisummerz

Answer by geminisummerz at 12:47 PM on Sep. 19, 2009

• Ditto on the left overs and hot foods.

I also make a batch of chicken and buy tortillas and shred cheese, my son loves it. I always cook enough for several lunches that week. cut up yuor own lunch meat and cheese add crackers, veggies w/ranch dip (buy small ziploc containers they have tiny ones that work well for dressing cost less than 2.00 per pkg) apples with carmel sauce (buy a jar of carmel sauce put it in the same cups as used for ranch) .

My son also has learned to love making a sandwhich out of leftover dinner meat, I have also changed up the type of bread we use so that it has a different texture and taste to it, I look for the day old rolls and cibatta, and hoagie's etc. my kids love the variety and are more willing to take a sandwhich.
    3_ring_circus_

Answer by 3_ring_circus_ at 12:53 PM on Sep. 19, 2009

• Most days my daughter brings a thermos with leftovers.

I have a huge list of bagged lunch ideas that I have collected over the years; send me a message offlist if you would like a copy.

Answer by rkoloms at 12:55 PM on Sep. 19, 2009

• At 13 and 5 they can make there own lunches. Go to the store give them both a set amount of money and tell them to find there lunch needs. This would teach them quite a bit of real world skills as well.

DevilInPigtails

Answer by DevilInPigtails at 1:50 PM on Sep. 19, 2009

• Lunchables are always a hit with kids, and they aren't too bad for them. They have the protein to keep them awake, at least. One thing I like are those little cans of tuna salad with crackers that come together. another good source of protein. When I was younger I liked to take ranch and fresh cut vegetables to school...but then again, I dieted way too much, and that wasn't enough.Hmmm....I'm not sure what else. I'm pregnant with my first, so I've yet to reach this dilemma, lol.
    StefanieN84

Answer by StefanieN84 at 2:13 PM on Sep. 19, 2009

• My 2 middle schools love vegetable egg rolls.I buy frozen ones at Whole Foods or CHUNGS natural veg. egg rolls. Bake them in the morn, put a drop of olive oil on them and rub all over before baking ,helps them be very crisp.A very small drop.

drfink

Answer by drfink at 4:28 PM on Sep. 19, 2009

• Cold pizza. lol
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 5:28 PM on Sep. 19, 2009