SO doesnt want me to go on BC

My SO told me he doesnt want me to go on birth control pills because he doesnt want me to put all kinds of chemicals in my body. I had one shot of Depo and he saw the negative side effects it had. I know I am nowhere near ready to have another baby and the thought of getting pregnant right now scares me. I know condoms have high effective rates but I need to feel as if MY body is protected and I dont have to rely on anyone else to control what happens to it. He has asked me to not go on the Pill. Do you think I should just go on it and not tell him? Or should I go on it and tell him its my body so hes just going to have to deal (though how would you word it so it doesnt guarentee a fight, lol)? Or should I respect his wishes and not go on it and just have tremedous amounts of anxiety until I get my period each month?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:33 PM on Sep. 19, 2009 in Health

• Talk to your ob about other forms of birth control. Research other non-hormonal forms.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:36 PM on Sep. 19, 2009

• Do what you want to do. It is your body and not his! Keep the conversation going but ultimately it is your decision!
    psugal

Answer by psugal at 12:44 PM on Sep. 19, 2009

• Try the Minipill. It's one they give to breast feeding mom's and people like me who's body can't handle all those chemicals. It's the only kind I can take without being miserable. Tell him there are other options and take him along to your doctors appointment. Maybe if he feels more a part of it he won't be so anti b.c. Good luck.
    Krystal.Ingalls

Answer by Krystal.Ingalls at 12:58 PM on Sep. 19, 2009

• You should never hide anything from your SO. If you go on BC he has a right to know IMO. he cares about you and is only trying to keep you safe.
    However, if you want to go on BC i feel that you should. i agree that looking into non-hormonal forms of BC would be a good idea. You could also chart your cycle and avoid sex on days when you are ovulating.
    GL!
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 12:59 PM on Sep. 19, 2009

• the mini pill has side effects two and i had my period for 60day and you have to take it at the exact same time everyday. tell him everything you told us he should understand if you have a bad reaction you can always stop you could try the ring too
    letlovegrow

Answer by letlovegrow at 7:25 PM on Sep. 19, 2009

• What about a diaphragm? They work without hormones and have no side effects. They never caused a stroke, infertility or PID; have never been the subject of class action lawsuits and are instantly reversible.

Answer by rkoloms at 11:50 AM on Sep. 21, 2009