Silly question, I should know the answer to (kind of grammar related)

I am doing a paper in which I reference the bible. Is "the bible" capitalized? "The Bible"?

Used in a sentence: Prostitution is a career as old as the bible.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:46 PM on Sep. 19, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• yes, capitalize, proper name of a book :)
    SuperMomof3kids

Answer by SuperMomof3kids at 12:49 PM on Sep. 19, 2009

• I think you only need capitalize Bible since it is the name of the book. But admittedly I got a B in english so I could be wrong.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 12:49 PM on Sep. 19, 2009

• great, I don't feel so bad I am not the only one who knows this. What about the word "The"
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:50 PM on Sep. 19, 2009

• Yes I think the Bible should be capitalised because it is a proper name.

beeky

Answer by beeky at 12:50 PM on Sep. 19, 2009

Hmm, a little trickier.  I think it depends on the way you reference it, but generally I would say no, unless it begins the sentence.

beeky

Answer by beeky at 12:53 PM on Sep. 19, 2009

• I do believe it should be capitalized, as Bible is pretty much the title...

Honestly, there's more of a chance that you'd get points taken off for not capitalizing it than for, because some people choose to capitalize it out of respect, which is acceptable, so at least if its not the most accurate, grammatically speaking, the capitalization of items of respect, such as capitalizing God when referring to one's deity of choice or The Bible, is deemed to be acceptable, from what I remember.
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 12:53 PM on Sep. 19, 2009

• (in terms of whether or not the needs to be capitalized, i don't THINK it does... I could be wrong....)
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 12:54 PM on Sep. 19, 2009

• The rule is capitalize any sacred noun or pronoun. So in your context, it would be capitalized, but if it was "the baseball card bible" it wouldn't be.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 12:55 PM on Sep. 19, 2009

• I think both words should be capped out of reverence personally....The Bible.

For the same reason many words within The Bible are capitalized that are not in normal writing. For instance, the words, Him, God, Lord, Life (in certain circumstances referring to a divine life - not ordinary life), etc.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:35 PM on Sep. 19, 2009