will they send me home again?

I'm 38 weeks and 5 cm. dilated.
I was sent home a week ago (at 4cm) because I wasn't making progress.
They say they won't break my water or anything because I'm not 39 weeks yet.

I'm having pretty powerful contractions, and nasty menstrual cramps...I'm afraid to go in though....

If I don't make any more progress, will they just send me home again? Will they break my water at this point since I'm already 5 cm, contracting and a week further along than I was?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:53 PM on Sep. 19, 2009 in Pregnancy

• at 38 wks and 5 cm I'm thinking they will most likely keep you is this your first?
    mizsaxton

Answer by mizsaxton at 12:59 PM on Sep. 19, 2009

• yeah it's my first

-OP
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:01 PM on Sep. 19, 2009

• they will probably keep you... they should watch you if you are at the halfway point to monitor the baby... if you continue to progress slow they will most likely do something to speed things up. Have you talked to your doctor or just the people in L&D?
    mizsaxton

Answer by mizsaxton at 1:19 PM on Sep. 19, 2009

• they will probably keep you if you are having powerful contractions and are 5cm. How far apart are your contractions? How long do they last? Have you heard of the 4-1-1 rule: 4 min apart, lasting for 1 min, in 1 hour?
    sweetmoonem

Answer by sweetmoonem at 1:28 PM on Sep. 19, 2009

• i think they will keep u if ur 5cm usually if the doc see's u and ur 5 they send u straight to the hospital i did with both my kids
    MyPrincesses421

Answer by MyPrincesses421 at 3:02 PM on Sep. 19, 2009

• You ARE making progress. You are just in vvery early labor. You can wait until your contractions are regular, getting stronger and growing with intensity, and about 4 minutes apart.

Remember, you may not finish dilating until the last moments of labor, so forget about those numbers. They mean nothing!
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 6:06 PM on Sep. 19, 2009

• They will only break your water if the baby's head is low enough. The risk with breaking your water is prolapsed cord, meaning that the cord gets between the baby's head and your cervix, cutting off oxygen to the baby. The good (fantastic!) news is that once you start having regular contractions, you don't have far to go to dilate. You're better off at home contracting than at a hospital with them telling you what to do and not making progress, if that makes sense. At home, you can relax more, eat and drink and move freely. Hang in there, mommy, I promise you won't be pregnant forever! =) In the meantime, if you're comfortable enough to, try having sex and going for walks to encourage labor. Good luck!!
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 12:59 AM on Sep. 20, 2009