why would someone call themselves hispanic when they are white born into a white family that has been white for generations back?

i girl i went to elementary school with is saying she is Hispanic cause she sleeps with Hispanic guys and she is white as a ghost blue eyes and red hair....i know most of her family and have known them for nearly 30 years....i dont get it whats to prove? i would think some Hispanics would be as offended and confused as i am? what happen to being proud of your background? and last time i checked dating out side your race doesnt change yours...if thats the case im a white black mexican....lol

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:02 PM on Sep. 19, 2009 in Just for Fun

• I know a lot of girls who say they are hispanic because of who they are dating or sleeping with. This is just something to make them feel good. More than likely she is telling people that because she is playing some sort of mind game. Personally, I think it is immature and have no time for these girls.

caitxrawks, hispanic is considered a race. When you go to sign your kid up for school they will take the minority, and it is not mexican race or cuban race, it is all rolled into one known as Hispanic.
    krissyvelazquez

Answer by krissyvelazquez at 3:45 PM on Sep. 19, 2009

• Hun, I will have you know that I am hispanic, and I have family that are, really white with natural blond almost white hair and blue and green eyes, so your stereotyping is way off.

Answer by older at 1:08 PM on Sep. 19, 2009

• if you know for sure she has no hispanic blood, then I dont know what to tell ya..just like white people are "black" because they listen to rap music, speak in ebonics and hang out with blacks lol. I have a friend who tells everyone when asked, that she is native american. but she is maybe 2 or 5%, so technically she should say she has a small percentage in her blood, not that she IS native american.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:11 PM on Sep. 19, 2009

• Not sure why people do this. But this much I know for sure, just because you call yourself an elephant does not mean that you are one. I would just say to take it with a grain of salt, cast it over your shoulder, and don't worry about it.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:22 PM on Sep. 19, 2009

• On the other hand you have people like me who are full one quarter commanche and rarely think about it. I am not ashamed. I have spent many hours in the past researching my grandfathers people..but it isn't something I walk around touting to others. My racial and culturtal background are nobodys business but my own.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:24 PM on Sep. 19, 2009

• I think it has to do with being uncomfortable with themselves. Where I live, it's considered "cool" to claim many races even though it's obvious they are just white or just black. I also had a friend who claimed to be Mexican when she wasn't. She had long black hair but that was it and her mom told me the truth, that she is as white as I am, lol. Here, it's also cool to be black and claim to be Indian. I'm dumbfounded, lol. My husband is black, I'm white, my children are mixed, that doesn't mean that I consider myself to be black just because of this, lol. In fact, I find it amusing when people do things like that. Oh, and white guys who live in the suburbs and have rich parents but talk using slang and acting like they are from the "hood", LMFAO! Thats funny too.
    Katrina3016

Answer by Katrina3016 at 1:29 PM on Sep. 19, 2009

• OHHHHHHHHHHHH, I have another story to tell you! A girl friend of mine needed a place to stay so I let her crash with me. Well, my husbands brother was living with us at the time and my girl friend and him started dating. All of a sudden she had MAJOR attitude and started acting diffrently. She even started talking in what she thought was "black womans language"! She started rolling her neck and talking with an attitude like she was all that just because she was dating a black man! I thought it was funny but my husband and his family most certainly did not and my mother in law told her off, LOL.
    Katrina3016

Answer by Katrina3016 at 1:35 PM on Sep. 19, 2009

• Hispanic is not a race, it is a culture. It is commonly confused with a race. Just like my husband is Hispanic, but he's white, or actually, he's mestizo. Mestizo refers to Latino/a people of both European AND American Indian descent. When I say American Indian, I mean Central and South America, such as the Aztecs, Mayans, Incas, and other Indian groups that don't really exist anymore. My husband looks completely white, as do many members of his family. But they're Hispanic because they come from Central America and Spanish is their first language. You can be white, black, tan, pale, Asian, hell you can even be purple and be Hispanic.
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 1:43 PM on Sep. 19, 2009

• My Great-Grandfather was 1/2 Cherokee Indian. My Grandfather was a quarter or just over that. My father has Cherokee in him and so do I. But ALL OF US look white as a white person can get.

Just because someone doesn't "look" to fit the heritage, it doesn't mean that it isn't there.

I even have Portugese in me. But you won't be able to tell. Though you CAN see the Dutch and the Irish in me.
    pr0udm0m_0f_3

Answer by pr0udm0m_0f_3 at 2:37 PM on Sep. 19, 2009

• The fact is that most white people do not know to what they belong to , because they are to selfish, and do not act like parents but like bffs,
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:53 PM on Sep. 19, 2009