Brothers & Sisters

One of the posts today used the phrase "brothers & sisters" in a religious sense. Who do you consider your brothers & sisters? All humans? All living things? People who share something with you that you hold in high esteem (your religion, political affiliation, etc.)? Only the other people born into your family? Or perhaps nobody? It is interesting to consider what compels us to feel bonded to strangers.

nysa00

Asked by nysa00 at 1:20 PM on Sep. 19, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• My "brothers and sisters" are the higher beings like the animals, trees, and earth. But I do feel a few kindred spirits here on cafemom too! A shout out to my quick-thinking, sharp-talking homies!!!
    witchqueen

Answer by witchqueen at 4:32 PM on Sep. 19, 2009

• Well, I guess it depends on the context of my thoughts at that moment. I of course would place a value on my flesh and blood brothers and sisters over those with a secular relationship to myself. But I do tend to call other Pagans my Brother and Sisters... To me we are of the same cloth... But in a sense I also feel that great connection between myself and others. I do tend to feel a tighter bond with those who also hold my beliefs over those that do not, but I think that is natural. In that grand scope of things I would and have used the term "Brothers & Sisters" to discuss the entirety of the human race, in other times only to address the Pagan community... I do feel that as humans we are all connected and should treat each other as family. But I feel a much closer bond to those who are most like me.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 1:26 PM on Sep. 19, 2009

• We are all brothers and sisters in the eyes of the Lord. That includes ALL humans. Now we also have Christian brothers and sisters, but that doesn't take away the bond we are given as humans from God. We are called to help all humans-because we are all brothers and sisters.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:26 PM on Sep. 19, 2009

• Agree with Anonymous 10:26.
    ocsosomom

Answer by ocsosomom at 1:28 PM on Sep. 19, 2009

• Um...well, I'm adopted so I don't know of any biological brothers or sisters, but I do have an adopted sister, two brothers-in-law and three sisters-in-law. To me, those are the only ones that count.
    SarahLeeMorgan

Answer by SarahLeeMorgan at 1:29 PM on Sep. 19, 2009

• For me brothers and sisters are my Muslim brothers and sisters who are upon true islam. But i do believe that we all stem from Adam so in that sense, we are connected. However the true brotherhood lies in the religious values, morals and beliefs.
    Aasiyah

Answer by Aasiyah at 1:30 PM on Sep. 19, 2009

• What interesting answers. I suppose in a sense I consider all living beings on Earth my brothers & sisters because we are all just trying to live here & because I know that I can connect to them on a spiritual level if I wish. On the other hand, I don't feel any close bond to anyone I don't know personally, even if I feel friendly towards their shared beliefs.
    nysa00

Answer by nysa00 at 1:42 PM on Sep. 19, 2009

• Sabrina has said it well. I would add that I also consider animals my cousins. All living beings should be treated with respect and love. I admit, I haven't always done so. We are all human after all and sometimes emotions get the better of us. You are all my sisters. Whether we agree or can get along does not matter. We still share a bond because we are human. I love you regardless of our arguments or differences.

SalemWitchChild

Answer by SalemWitchChild at 1:47 PM on Sep. 19, 2009

• I haven't really ever thought about it, good question. I guess I consider my actual brother the only person that could be a "brother or sister". Everyone else is just...people. Other humans just trying to make their way. I've never felt an otherworldly connection to anyone else except my husband, but seeing him as a brother would be kind of creepy.
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 2:07 PM on Sep. 19, 2009

• Growing up it was those in my church community and we were taught should be extended to everyone as we were children of our Heavenly Father and Mother therefore all siblings.

Nowadays....just my earthly sisters(I have no brothers) are who I consider my "sisters".
    Amaranth361

Answer by Amaranth361 at 2:14 PM on Sep. 19, 2009