A Smothering Hug

My FIL & MIL hate me. The feeling is mutual. However, in social situations where there is a group of people around them, they insist on hugging me. Hugging me when we arrive, or leave. We have so much hate for one another that I find this behaviour odd. Usually I step out first before they can touch me, move away or say I have to go to the bathroom.

I am getting tired of this. Any suggestions?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:25 PM on Sep. 19, 2009 in Relationships

• I tell ppl that I prefer to not be hugged. If they have an issue with it then it's their problem. I can't deal with ppl like that. If they tried it and didn't respect my "no hugs" policy then I'd be like you and walk away. They are the ones being disrespectful.

Answer by admckenzie at 2:41 PM on Sep. 19, 2009

• Are they from the South? lol Do you love your husband? Than my suggestion to you is to endure the split second of discomfort. I am sure your husband really appreciates that despite how you feel around each other, you are making an effort. Keep your chin up, in-laws can be retched.

2-1CavWife

Answer by 2-1CavWife at 1:36 PM on Sep. 19, 2009

• All of yall have a stong and poweful love for one man.so it's kind of like ya'll are stuck with each other.giving a friendly hug it really not that bad , you FIL OR MIL can make it really obvisious that you all can't stand each other ..if you can't bring yourself to do it do it for your husband.accept it and go on with your day ..would you rather 10 secs of unhappyness or a lifetime of drama with ur new family
    amiyamom

Answer by amiyamom at 1:37 PM on Sep. 19, 2009

• heres my take on it, they don't like you, but that is a private family issue. In public, or around other people, it is their job to make sure you are still "Part of the family" Be honored that even though they dislike you, they are still willing to do overlook that to do whats right.
    auroura

Answer by auroura at 1:54 PM on Sep. 19, 2009

• embarass the hell out of them next time in front of their company and ask them WHY they are pretending to like you or be nice to you when you all know how you all feel about each other. Point out to them you married their son and NOT them and you'de thank them to keep their hatefulness and pretending to themselves.
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 2:03 PM on Sep. 19, 2009

• last two answers are the best, and no they are not from the south. and yes, I love my husband, duh!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:09 PM on Sep. 19, 2009