Ok to dye your hair at 37 weeks?

i dyed my hair when i was about 7 months.. the cheapy store bought crap you know? but i just have an odd feeling about doing it this late in pregnancy.. i dont know anyone know if the store bought stuff is ok? i can wait but im tired of the goofy lookin hair style super cuts gave me... i look rediculous and im tryin to do SOMETHING to make it look decent ne ways...but baby's health is more important.. anyone know if hair dye can be harmfull now?

armymum1013

Asked by armymum1013 at 1:57 PM on Sep. 19, 2009 in Pregnancy

• You're going to get alot of different replies for this question. Some say it's bad because the babys skin and hair color can turn out different and some say because you're poares are open that the hair dye can kill you but it wont affect the baby. But whatever the Doctor never told me NOT to dye my hair. I died my hair Jet Black and I'm 7 months, and I died my hair 3 other times during the pregnancy and I'm still fine and so is the baby. SO theres no problem.
    katsogrimey

Answer by katsogrimey at 2:03 PM on Sep. 19, 2009

• My mom is a hair stylist, and she said it's fine. Also, my doctor said it was fine. I dyed my hair three days before my dd was born and she's perfectly healthy! Just be careful because it might not turn out the color you want since your hormones are going crazy right now.
    SarahLeeMorgan

Answer by SarahLeeMorgan at 2:05 PM on Sep. 19, 2009

• The effects of hair dye have not been proven safe for any point in pregnancy. Why risk it???
    sweetmoonem

Answer by sweetmoonem at 2:09 PM on Sep. 19, 2009

• I have heard that because of the hormones it may turn out a different color
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:15 PM on Sep. 19, 2009

• sweetmoonem: that was when they were using ammonia in hair dyes. They don't use ammonia anymore.

"No conclusive evidence has been able to indicate whether or not hair dye is a risk during pregnancy."

http://www.womenshealth.org/a/pregnancy_hair_dye_safety.htm

SarahLeeMorgan

Answer by SarahLeeMorgan at 3:36 PM on Sep. 19, 2009

• It is safe as long as you are in a well ventilated area. The concern is that because of the hormones, it may not take, or it may come out differently then expected.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 7:41 PM on Sep. 19, 2009

• yah i see where you guys are coming from with the "it might not turn out too great" i dyed my hair red a couple months ago and was back to its cruddy not so brown or any natural looking hair color lol in about 4 days...
    armymum1013

Answer by armymum1013 at 7:58 PM on Sep. 19, 2009

• The highest risks are during the first trimester, but if you can wait it out a few more weeks, that's probably best. I wouldn't recommend doing it at home, because you're usually in a poorly ventilated restroom, and it will sit on your scalp much more than it would at a salon. If you can afford it, go to a salon, and get highlights, which have little contact with your scalp, which means you won't absorb as many of the toxins through your skin. I can understand not wanting roots!
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 12:55 AM on Sep. 20, 2009

• I'm a hairstylist and it is fine to dye your hair. Just be in a well ventilated area. It is the fumes that can be harmful though most dyes these days are low- ammonia or no ammonia. Also be careful b/c your homones can change the way the hair color comes out. It's not 100% that it will happen to you. It has just happened before and is a possibility. I've dyed my hair red since 5th grade and I'm 24 years old now, but I've only dyed my hair once while pregnant. Since you don't have that much longer I would just wait. I think of it as a reward for all of the hard work.
    amberdawnbarr

Answer by amberdawnbarr at 1:39 AM on Sep. 20, 2009

• If you want to use a chemical dye like you get in a box or salon, go for highlights or foils of some kind. That way the dye isn't up against your scalp and thus less likely to be absorbed into your skin.

I just got pregnant and am facing "skunk head" as my highlights grow out. I plan on using natural henna (the stuff you can use for those brownish temp tattoos) to color my hair. Apparently it covers gray pretty well. And NO ODOR. Safe for you and the baby. (And the environment! And your hunny when he wants to smell your sexy pregnant hair later:) !!
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 10:23 AM on Sep. 20, 2009