sleeping baby on stomach

I sleep my baby on his back(he's 3 weeks old) but I was wondering if it's ok to let him sleep on his stomach(he loves it, I tried it for a few minutes but got too nervous) during the day when I am sitting right in the same room ?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:12 PM on Sep. 19, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• My son has slept on his stomach since he was born, he doesn't like sleepin on his back...I think its fine as long as his head stays turned & there is nothing up close to his face. Personally I feel like one year its don't let them do this then the next its you can. You are momma you do what you think is best.
    rebel07

Answer by rebel07 at 2:37 PM on Sep. 19, 2009

• Both my baby's were tummy sleepers. They would cry for hours on their backs. So from about 1 1/2 weeks old, they got flipped to their tummy and went right to sleep. Your risks of SIDS goes up though. Just make sure they dont have any blankets to suffacate from and keep a good check on them. If you are really worried about that, you can buy a mattress pad with an alarm on it, it will go off if the baby quits breathing.
    forevermom75

Answer by forevermom75 at 2:50 PM on Sep. 19, 2009

• All of mine slept on their stomachs from the time I brought them home until they started moving around on their own in their sleep.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 4:43 PM on Sep. 19, 2009

• If you let him do it during the day, that's the way he's going to learn to sleep and want to sleep that way at night as well. If you aren't comfortable with him sleeping on his tummy at night (all 4 of mine slept on their backs like the drs recommend until they could turn themselves over) then I wouldn't let him during the day.

Answer by missanc at 6:50 PM on Sep. 19, 2009

• Don't do it if you aren't comfy with it and he will sleep on his back. However, both of my sons hated sleeping on their backs so I let them sleep on their bellies. But I also co-slept with them so I was confident they were safe.
    purpleducky

Answer by purpleducky at 8:55 AM on Sep. 20, 2009