Is there anyone out there that has an adult child that still wants to depend on their parents eeeeeven though they are married and have two children?

need money need a new car need a home for us , tired of living with in-laws, can't save money. epects mom and dad to bail them out. mom is on disabilty, dad works we are divoeced for 13yrs.

oddfamilyone

Asked by oddfamilyone at 2:36 PM on Sep. 19, 2009 in Adult Children (18+)

• I think my hubby depends on his parents too much
    TACXBCBJC

Answer by TACXBCBJC at 2:49 PM on Sep. 19, 2009

• My step child thinks she is entitled to a brand new car and $. She is in college living in an apartment on her own, WONT work but begs everyone for $. We give her nothing, she is 21 and needs to learn there are more important things in life than partying as much as possible or seeing how drunk she can get everyday. Life is going to kick her teeth in when her grampa is gone and there is no one left to pay all her bills. And honestly? I'm gonna laugh when that day comes. We paid for college and 2 years in the dorm. her grampie pays for her apartment, car ins, gas and food $ now. She's on her own.
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 3:27 PM on Sep. 19, 2009

• In simple terms tell them no can do. Time to be an adult and handle your own problems. Really you have to be firm or else they will never stand on their own two feet. Tell them don't ask again because my answer will be the same.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 5:10 PM on Sep. 19, 2009

• I have two words for you TOUGH LOVE
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:06 PM on Sep. 19, 2009

• I have 1 married son w/a baby due in June and another son who is divorced with 2 sons who are 3 and 4 1/2 and they both take care of their own responsiblities. They'd never ask us to provide for them now that they are adults. Once they moved out, they were on their own and they knew it. Personally the education starts when they are young. If they grow up being handed everything then they expect it when they are adults. My husband works with 50+yo's who have been at their jobs for 30+ years and they won't retiree because they have childrens mortgages to pay, grandchildren to out through college, etc.. Not in this family. Never.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:25 AM on Sep. 20, 2009

• Life is going to kick her teeth in when her grampa is gone and there is no one left to pay all her bills. And honestly? I'm gonna laugh when that day comes.

That is a cruel thing to say, and extremely rude. What goes around comes around......
    PestPatti

Answer by PestPatti at 11:26 AM on Sep. 20, 2009

• A parents job is never done I don't care how old they are or how many kids, mine know that they can count on me for emergencies, but they have never taken advantage, not now nor when they were younger, even knowing I could afford to supply them with luxuries, they never asked for it. I taught them the value of $.
    If you can afford to help them out on some necessity (not luxury) do so, ifyou can't tell them so.

Answer by older at 11:48 AM on Sep. 20, 2009

• Kids only keep asking when parents keep doling out the money. Food, life or death issues of course most parents do what they can. For kids to keep going to their parents for their free money stash...NO! This is not making responsible kids. grannywilson
    grannywilson

Answer by grannywilson at 9:46 PM on Sep. 20, 2009

• My BF's sister is like this. She's 28, in the process of a divorce and expects her parents to pay for everything. She hasnt worked a day since she turned 18 ( or when she got married at 20) Her hubby doesnt work either, but they expect other people to pay for them. But yet she wants to visit us more often, ( she lives 400 miles away) and wants us to help pay for her to come down here, and if we dont she expects her parents to give her 400$ per trip down here so she can have fun, gas, etc.
    I say get a damn job. I'm not going to pay. I've worked almost everyday for the past 7 years (i'm 23 now) I support my daughter and my soon-to- be here son. My BF got laid off recently and I've been helping with household things, but we havent asked ANYONE for help no matter how tight things got!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:30 AM on Sep. 21, 2009

• Everyone needs to feel there is a safety net available.  Now that his parents are both gone, my husband doesn't even feel he has anyone to ask advice from.  But your advice, not your money should be the most valuable thing you have to offer.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:07 AM on Sep. 21, 2009