Do you buy a gift for an engagement party?

If so, what would be appropriate? The bride is an old high school friend and we have kept in touch ove r the years. We occasionaly have lunch. We don't hang out often.... I have never met her fiance. I have looked online and most say only a card is expected... What should I do.

I know this is really general parenting, but idk where else to put it.

4monkees

Asked by 4monkees at 2:39 PM on Sep. 19, 2009 in General Parenting

• nice picture fram or photo album would be awsome. i wouldnt want to go without a gift i would feel stange so i would go bargin hunting and you can find osme really nice stuff for under 10 bucks if you look hard enough
    jajamama

Answer by jajamama at 6:13 PM on Sep. 19, 2009

• A friend gave me a ring holder (one of those things with the pole you put a ring on when your not wearing it) and a matching box for my dresser. I thought it was a very thoughtful gift. Its been 8 years since I got it and I still use it every night.
    auroura

Answer by auroura at 2:43 PM on Sep. 19, 2009

• One of the websites I checked out said most of the gifts are just for the bride anyways..... That does sound like a nice gift idea tho. Thanks for answering my question.
    4monkees

Answer by 4monkees at 2:45 PM on Sep. 19, 2009

• I'm not sure if you need to buy a gift. We had an engagement party, but it was for our families to officially meet. You're going to be invited to her shower and the wedding ... those are both good times for gifts.

If you don't want to go empty handed, you could buy them a nice bottle of wine for the evening.
    ap9902

Answer by ap9902 at 4:26 PM on Sep. 19, 2009

• Maybe a neat photo album or picture frame if you don't want to go empty handed. They will no doubt be taking a lot of photos during the events leading up to the nuptuals. I would think it nice to have an 'engagement' photo album perhaps. It doesn't have to be anything crazy expensive, just something that lets them know that you thought about them.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:10 PM on Sep. 19, 2009