How do I secure my 3 yo son in a two seater convertable?

My father wants to take his grandson for a ride in his sportscar. The problem? its a two seater convertible and I am not sure how to make it safe. DS is uses a booster seat now but I am not sure, am I supposed to put that in the front seat? just belt him in good? how?

auroura

Asked by auroura at 2:41 PM on Sep. 19, 2009 in Just for Fun

• He shouldn't be in a booster seat yet, he should be in a 5-pt harness still. Which would be safe enough. But there's no way I'd put him in in a booster seat. Tell your dad he can't take junior for a spin til he's much older. Shoot, I'm not so sure I'd even get in one of those things.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:42 PM on Sep. 19, 2009

• duh u use the damn booster seat.. its still safer then not having one. my opinion i would NOT let my kid go
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:43 PM on Sep. 19, 2009

• anon :42 depends on how big the kid is
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:46 PM on Sep. 19, 2009

• he shouldnt be in a booster they are for 4 years and up ... i always suggest harnessing til 5 or 6
    i would NOT put him in a booster in the front seat of a sports car at his age! no way no how!
    look at the graco natuilus car seat it harness to 65lbs and then boosters to 100 its very safe and great for his age
    Riosmommy

Answer by Riosmommy at 2:59 PM on Sep. 19, 2009

• anon 46
    at 3 years old it DOES NOT MATTER the childs size no 3 year old is OLD enough for a booster it is NOT safe to have a 3 year old in a booster
    Riosmommy

Answer by Riosmommy at 3:01 PM on Sep. 19, 2009

• We have a truck with a single bench seat and no air bags. Our boy is in a five-point harness in the middle.

In your dad's car, I would put a five-point harness seat in the passenger seat ONLY if the air bag can be turned off. Unless your child weighs over 65 pounds at age three, he is too young for a booster seat. That would be dangerous in any vehicle. Personally, my son will be in a five-point harness until he weighs 80 pounds, regardless of his age (which will probably be around 10, lol). I will just take him to the race track and show him that the cool race car drivers wear five-point harnesses, lol.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:04 PM on Sep. 19, 2009

• OMG. How did you people and the children of older people ever manage to make it to adult hood alive? My children were in lap belts by the time they were three years old. We even had 2 children (gasp and shudder) who shared a seatbelt in the middle (staring when tthey were 5 and almost 4 and ending when they were probably around 9 and 10 when we got a mini-van) and had 2 car seats on the ends (they were newborn and 16 mos.) until the younger 2 hit 3 and then we had 4 in lap belts and they were 3, 4, 7 and 8. I understand the need for carseats but having 12 year olds in booster seats (I have seen it) is just plain silly!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:13 PM on Sep. 19, 2009

• thank you anon 13. I know I rode in the back of a station wagon where there was three seats and only two seat belts for much of my early-middle childhood. and I didn't ask if I SHOULD I said I was GOING TO and am trying to make it as SAFE as possible. Since the STATE PATROLE gave me the booster seat when my son OUTGREW his carseat (we are tall, I am 6', DH is 6'1". not suprizeing he outgrew his carseat early). My son worked very hard to learn to say his colors (he has a speach disablity) and this was the reward for doing so, I am not going to take that away from him. What I was looking for was realistic advice on how to make it safer to do this.
    auroura

Answer by auroura at 3:22 PM on Sep. 19, 2009

• Um, I have 2 booster seats that say 3 and up. If your son fits in a booster, great! I would just use it normal and move the seat as far back as it will go since you can't turn off the air bag (which would be the safest). I didn't even use a seat belt until I started driving (which was 15 years ago). I remember my mom telling me that when I was a baby I could get out of my carseat and I would stand up. She was paying so much attention trying to get me to sit back down, she had to slam her brakes on to not hit the car if front of her. I went crashing to the floor (I was fine!) and as soon as she started laughing at me I started to cry.
    Amber115

Answer by Amber115 at 4:14 PM on Sep. 19, 2009

• Saying something like, "I survived..." is really tacky. There were many many children who didn't survive and that's why we have safety devices today.
    MoonLover06

Answer by MoonLover06 at 4:24 PM on Sep. 19, 2009