what are some good tips on teaching your child that you cant pick him up ALL the time?

I am pregnant now and it is getting harder and harder for me to pick him up, he is a big boy...so i have been trying to tell him he is a big boy you can walk, but he then throws a huge tantrum.......
what can i do to teach him that i cant pick him up all the time......

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:09 PM on Sep. 19, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• How old is he?
    ocsosomom

Answer by ocsosomom at 3:11 PM on Sep. 19, 2009

• 15 months old, and a very healthy 25 pounds
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:16 PM on Sep. 19, 2009

• This won't work everywhere, but whenever you go somewhere "fun" (like the park), and he refuses to walk, just tell him "You can walk, or we can go home." If he still insists on being carried, then take him home.

There's also the "say bye and walk a few steps away" method, but I think he might be a bit young for that.
    makelineerror

Answer by makelineerror at 3:30 PM on Sep. 19, 2009

• Just stop picking him up. Pick your battles.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:49 PM on Sep. 19, 2009

• When he throws a tantrum get down to his level and tell him 'you are too heavy for mommy to carry you, you need to be a big boy and walk'. If that doesn't walk you certainly can walk a few steps away from him and tell him bye bye. He may get upset, that's when you say, 'then come with me'. He will get the idea that your not going to pick him up just because he's throwing a fit. Don't be embarassed to do it in public too, you have to be consistent or he won't get the idea.
    You could also give him something to carry to 'help you'.
    When my niece was born my nephew was about that age.. I didn't think he'd be 'old enough' to understand when I did the things above, but he caught on really quickly.
    kristal2146

Answer by kristal2146 at 9:06 PM on Sep. 19, 2009

• Oh, that is so hard, at 15 months!!! I'm in the same situation, now at 36 weeks pregnant with a 33 pound just turned 2 year old. I felt guilty with the above techniques. So I instead, I made a huge and I mean huge ordeal when he walked on his own. "Oh, my gosh, you are such an awesome big boy, LOOK AT MY BOY (yea to anyone who was around, daddy, teachers, you name it) walking on his own. He's so special, his new baby brother won't be able to even do things like that". I'd laugh and smile and acted like he'd performed an amazing feat. He liked the attention; it encouraged him to walk. I would also reward him with a "pick-up & carry" that was NOT requested by him when he had walked a while (most often when DH was there to put him in my arms). Also if I could, I would just sit down and hold him instead. I still carry him some. After all he's still a baby too, but it cut down significantly on the request.
    Marti123

Answer by Marti123 at 10:26 PM on Sep. 19, 2009