Is this the majority way of thinking?

This an exact quote of a comment left by some anon in another question of mine, regarding some homosexual discrimination at one of my local hospital. "Accepting sexual deviance may be something that has come with the times, but I don't have to accept something so twisted. It never should have been taken off of the list of mental illnesses in the first place. It's not natural. That why most gay people report having been molested or something of the sort as children. Something messed their mind up. Maybe if you had done a better job raising your daughter, she wouldn't be a lesbian. it;s not a decision that can be judged. It's the truth, and good luck getting equal rights for gays. They are still enough sane people in the world to keep that from happening".

Asked by older at 3:13 PM on Sep. 19, 2009 in General Parenting

Level 69 (2,285,492 Credits)
  • I can't speak for the majority, but I can say that for myself, my family, and my friends, we do not feel that way. I firmly believe that being gay is perfectly normal, and is the way someone is born. I have an uncle, one of 5 children who is gay. How can someone say that is the result of how he was raised, when his 3 brothers and 1 sister were raised by the same parents in the same house and exactly the same way? And I know straight people who were molested, so clearly molestation doesn't cause it. And I think it is ridiculous to suggest someone would CHOOSE to be something that will get them hated, beat up, or even killed, not to mention discriminated against and ostracized (sp?). It is not a mental illness. I think the narrowmindedness that some people display about it should be considered a mental illness, though.
    tropicalmama

Answer by tropicalmama at 4:32 PM on Sep. 19, 2009

• I don't know about the majority, I can only speak for myself. No thats not my way of thinking. I could give a crap less about what someone elses sexual preference is.
    Katrina3016

Answer by Katrina3016 at 3:19 PM on Sep. 19, 2009

• That's not my view. And i believe that anon truly over stepped her boundaries. I have a few friends that are gay and they were NOT molested. Oh, but i was molested and i'm bisexual. does that mean there is something wrong with me? no.
    and if you look at homosexual history, it's been going on sense humans were here. If it were not natural how come there are also other animals that participate in homosexual activity?

...i cannot tell you if that is the mainstream view or not. But i can tell you, that is not my view.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 3:19 PM on Sep. 19, 2009

• No, it may be the majority view of religious zealots, but not the majority of the people who are actually sane.
    canadianmom1974

Answer by canadianmom1974 at 3:24 PM on Sep. 19, 2009

• Well I don't know if you would say I am the majority or not but no that isn't how everyone thinks! I am not gay myself but that doesn't mean that other people don't have the right to be and I don't think it is any way an illness either. And how a child is raised has nothing to do with if a person is gay or not.
    Katysmom

Answer by Katysmom at 3:24 PM on Sep. 19, 2009

• Wow. Anon was staying true to type. That was incredibly hateful. I'd bet she claims to be a 'christian' too. It is my belief that people do not 'choose' to be gay. There are more and more studies proving the diffferences in the brains etc. I believe something happens in utero where the right hormones are not released at the right time or in too little quantity. I firmly believe homosexuals are born that way. As a christian I also believe they have a special lot in life and God has instructed them to abstain from that lifestyle. Is it fair? Of course not. Just telling you where my opinion from all I've studied leads me.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:25 PM on Sep. 19, 2009

• Although I can't abide the homosexual life style, My motto is love the sinner not the sin. People should be loved for who they are not for whom they choose to take to bed.
    CKasting

Answer by CKasting at 3:27 PM on Sep. 19, 2009

• anon, how can you beleive in them being born this way and then say they were instructed to deny themselves?

Answer by older at 3:27 PM on Sep. 19, 2009

• Wow, just... wow. I don't think that's how a majority of people see it. I know that I don't look at it that way. I think that person is the one who needs to go talk to a therapist as this hate issue is definitly causing them problems in their every day life.
    auroura

Answer by auroura at 3:31 PM on Sep. 19, 2009

• Most people don't feel that way.
    Fallaya

Answer by Fallaya at 3:33 PM on Sep. 19, 2009