How can I put my 13 month old to bed?

Breastfeeding is the only way he sleeps. I am planning to stop breastfeeding him soon. I don't know what I am going to do. Also he does not drink that much whole milk. How should I make him to drink it?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:20 PM on Sep. 19, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• to put him to bed you must first for about a week slowly feed him earlier and earlier before he falls asleep, if he does fall asleep on the boob stop feeding......lay him down awake but drowsy, it will be very hard for the first week or so to teach him to fall asleep on his own....trust me it killed me to hear my son cry, but he is ok his cry means hey this is new and i dont like it...but he will soon learn its ok maybe i do like this....I would wait a little while after this change to wean him from BF....as far as the whole milk my son didnt like it either, but he will drink the whole milk chocolate flavor...we are working on plain whole milk now but he still prefers the chocolate milk, which is ok as long as he drinks MILK
    franklynnsmom

Answer by franklynnsmom at 3:26 PM on Sep. 19, 2009

• I gave my son two options, milk or water. Eventually he got thirsty enough to drink one of the two. He still only gets a little juice each day and occasionally a soda for a treat.
    auroura

Answer by auroura at 3:36 PM on Sep. 19, 2009

• franklynnsmom said it all...that's how it's supposed to be done.
    ocsosomom

Answer by ocsosomom at 3:52 PM on Sep. 19, 2009

• I always nurse my baby to sleep as long as he needs to. When my oldest was done nursing, I cuddled with him to get him to sleep until he didn't need the cuddling anymore.

Cow's milk is not needed so if he doesn't want it, just be sure he is getting plenty of other calcium rich foods.
    aehanrahan

Answer by aehanrahan at 4:47 PM on Sep. 19, 2009

• As far as the milk goes try only a few ounces and mix the rest of the sippy cup with water. Every week add a little more milk until it is all milk. In the mean time just cook with milk and cheese. You can always give gummy calcium bears too. I would split them in half and then give them to my son so I didn't worry about him choking. With the weaning you need to switch up the routine a little. If you rocked him to sleep while you breast fed before, then try holding him and standing. Sway and sing him to sleep. Or you can even have your husband lay him down for bed.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 5:41 PM on Sep. 19, 2009

• My son wasn't drinking any milk at all and weaned himself off formula so after trying Whole milk we switched to 2%. We put a dab of strawberry milk in at first but now he drinks the 2% without it. Try giving it to him in a sippy cut at meals at first. My son seemed to drink more then.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:57 PM on Sep. 19, 2009

• A good way to help wean from nursing to sleep is to change your routine. Nurse him earlier, and make a bedtime routine to help him understand that nighttime is not about nursing, its about sleeping. Offer a sippy cup with water for bed if he really seems to need something to suck on, or a paci if your not opposed to it. Make the routine and keep it consistent, ours is kisses for everyone, brush our teeth, read a story, night time. He may cry at first, but just go in every few minutes (only if he's still crying, not if he's quiet)and lay him back down, rub his back for a minute, say goodnight and leave. He will get used to it soon and be able to put himself to sleep. I don't stress if they want to play for a couple minutes in the crib before laying down, as long as there aren't too many toys to keep him awake.
    As far as the milk goes.. you will probably have better luck after you stop bf'ing. Offer it with his food and keep it
    kristal2146

Answer by kristal2146 at 9:01 PM on Sep. 19, 2009

• available in between meals so he can have it when he wants it. Chances are that when he's not used to getting full from you anymore, he'll want that cup of milk more.
    kristal2146

Answer by kristal2146 at 9:02 PM on Sep. 19, 2009