3 month old - sleep pattern

My 3 month old sleeps from 7pm-7am waking 2 times during the night to eat. He then takes a nap from 9-12 or 1 and then goes back down around 2-5 or 6. He is exhausted if we don't let him sleep - is this normal?! I feel like I never get to play with him!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:33 PM on Sep. 19, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I have a 3 month old who doesn't sleep nearly that much, but it seems that all babies are different....Have you asked your pediatrician? When he's up is he happy and engaged? In my opinion I would only worry if he didn't seem to be thriving otherwise...I'm sure he's fine! I spent 5 hours in the ER last night with my 3 month old because she projectile vomited...I think all moms worry too much - but that's our job :)
    stepmom929

Answer by stepmom929 at 3:37 PM on Sep. 19, 2009

• Congratulations on ur newborn. Don't worry you will plenty of time to play with the baby when he grows older. But he needs as much sleep as he can get. Sleep at this stage is very important. They needed so they can grow rapidly. So hang in there, fun and platime is around the corner. Good luck and take care.
    BuzyMamma

Answer by BuzyMamma at 3:38 PM on Sep. 19, 2009

• He is so happy when he wakes up, and we play a ton when he is awake ... he is growing well and eats great, and all around really content, but I just wish he'd be up to play a little more! It may just be a phase - I'm finding that everything seems huge at the moment, and then before you know it, he's onto the next phase! Hope your daughter is ok, projectile can be scary!
    TarraJoy

Answer by TarraJoy at 3:41 PM on Sep. 19, 2009

• Wow...lucky you that you have a normal and healthy baby. It's actually a 3-m/o baby supposed to be and that's how baby grows by sleep, eat and more sleep. Eating for baby actually takes the most of energy for them...while baby asleep, his/her brain is working hard to wire and connect. Please don't worry about playing with him...next month, I guess in a couple weeks, he/she is gonna be awake more. Again, you're lucky to have a such great baby.
    ocsosomom

Answer by ocsosomom at 3:50 PM on Sep. 19, 2009

• In afew weeks he will wake up. Then you'll be begging for those nap times.
    Haha I remember poking my sleeping baby so I could play with her. Now I kick myself over it!
    BambiF

Answer by BambiF at 8:45 PM on Sep. 19, 2009