Do you put cereal in your baby's bottle?

I did when my son was 2mths and he did fine. I'm pregnant and plan to do it again; I just wanted to know if any other moms did it. I know that docs say not to now days, but I want to know how many still do.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:41 PM on Sep. 19, 2009 in General Parenting

• My sons are 23, 21, 19 and 17 and yes, I did. I don't have obese children, they're all athletic & they have no health issues. It was doctor recommended to give our children cereal in their bottles. And also, just because we formula fed it didn't mean we didn't care. For me and most of my generation the whole idea of breastfeeding was something mostly "hippie types" did. There wasn't the awareness or support that there is now. Most women who had children between the 1940's and 1980's formula fed their children. It wasn't as common as it is now to see breastfed children. I did attempt to breastfeed my 23yo and I was sent to the bedroom at my in laws house to nurse,when out I would have had to nurse in public restrooms which was nasty, etc. and it was just easier to quit and be able to have a life with my family than to be a hermit and keep my child at home.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 5:05 PM on Sep. 19, 2009

• I don't, because our doctor (and all the books) say that they can choke. I'd rather her get bored with her formula than have her choking on something she's not ready for.
    SarahLeeMorgan

Answer by SarahLeeMorgan at 3:45 PM on Sep. 19, 2009

• yep with all 3 of mine
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:46 PM on Sep. 19, 2009

• No never. My oldest was both bottle and breast fed because he was so large that I would run dry with each feeding (usually once an hour) so I would give him formula as well. My youngest only had a breast because he refused a bottle... Neither of my children were given cereal before 6 months though. It's not healthy, and placing cereal in the bottle can expand a babies stomach unnaturally causing them to overeat and even causing obesity later in life... So, no, I did not, nor would I encourage you to do it.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 3:47 PM on Sep. 19, 2009

• To both of the last anons: formula isn't BAD, it's just not as good as breast milk. And you don't know that she is ABLE to breast feed. Personally, I could never make enough milk, got discouraged and depressed, and eventually dried up after two months of constant disappointment. I was taking three different supplements and doing everything I could do to make more milk but it never happened.
    Don't judge someone's decisions based on your own opinions, because you never know what their situation is.
    SarahLeeMorgan

Answer by SarahLeeMorgan at 3:53 PM on Sep. 19, 2009

• I said I know what doctors say, I also know that I, my brother, my mother and her siblings, my father and his siblings, and so on all were fed cereal and we r all fine. I am not obese and my son will not be obese he is tall and skinny. And just because I did not bf doesn't mean I don't care about my child ANON (IGNORANT). Don't talk about something you know nothing about. Of course I would never choke my child, it doesn't take a genius to know if a nipple whole is too big. The liquid coming out too much too fast would be what would cause a baby to choke. SOOOO my question is Does anyone put cereal in their baby's bottle?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:05 PM on Sep. 19, 2009

• I never did. I breastfed for 6 months, then formula fed. I never saw the point in it really.. and if the doctors and parenting literature advice against it, don't you think that's a decent reason to not do it. I just didn't see any benefit...
    toriandgrace

Answer by toriandgrace at 4:12 PM on Sep. 19, 2009

• I never did it, I always gave it to them with a spoon but I know a lot of people that have.
    sammiesmom2000

Answer by sammiesmom2000 at 4:15 PM on Sep. 19, 2009

• I did with my son when he was about 2-3 months old. I didn't put a lot in, and the nipple was one that was for "thicker formulas" ... he was absolutely fine. The reason I put him on cereal so early is because he had such a large appetite and was getting sick from eating over and above the amount of formula that was suggested. He's 16 months now and is absolutely perfect and healthy.
    ap9902

Answer by ap9902 at 4:18 PM on Sep. 19, 2009

• I do BUT .... Only because my ob said to, my daughter is breastfeed and has alot of eating and breathing issues and acid reflux after 5 days in the hospital at 4 weeks old they suggested I began pumping and add ceral with each bottle to make it thicker to minimize some of her issues so yes I do but I mix it with breastmilk that I pump so that she is still getting that and only because both her Lung specialist and peditrician both advised it would be best for her.
    bshelly

Answer by bshelly at 4:23 PM on Sep. 19, 2009