• In the Spotlight:

Is hot sauce abuse?

I'd never heard of this until someone I know on FB complained about the ex-wife doing it to the kids - if they wouldn't eat or talked back, etc, she feeds them hot sauce. Once she mentioned it, some other friends commented about it being done to kids they know.

Creative discipline or abuse?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:02 PM on Sep. 19, 2009 in General Parenting

• 'drinking it' implies that she was giving them a full cup of hot sauce and forcing them to drink it. that seems wrong, 'cause i kid would definitely get sick to their stomach from that. my mom had put a drop or two of hot sauce or hot pepper in my mouth when i was little for back-talk & it hurt, but it didn't kill me or make me sick.
    Wheepingchree

Answer by Wheepingchree at 4:08 PM on Sep. 19, 2009

• I don't think it's appropriate, just personally. I am ok with putting it on a child's thumb to break a thumb sucking habit (my parents did this to me) but forcing them to drink it... not quite right.
    toriandgrace

Answer by toriandgrace at 4:05 PM on Sep. 19, 2009

• I feel it is too close to abuse. ...i dont know if i would give it the full label of abuse. but it sure is cutting it close.

I know a family that pressured their 10yr old son to drink a whole bottle of hot sauce so that he could have a new game system for Christmas ...
    It made me sick to listen to them pressure that kid and the way he coughed and held back his vomit (if he threw up he didn't get the game system)
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 4:05 PM on Sep. 19, 2009

• If she's making them drink it I think that is wrong; but if she is dipping a finger I don't think so.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:08 PM on Sep. 19, 2009

• If making your child take a cold bath for talking back is abuse then I say making them drink hot sauce is abuse too
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:10 PM on Sep. 19, 2009

• I'm not sure it would be considered abuse legally, but I'd most definitely say it is!! If they don't want to eat, then let them go hungry. If they talk back take a privilegeaway. Making them drink hot sauce is unbelievably cruel. Sounds to me like someone has control issues!

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:11 PM on Sep. 19, 2009

• I think making them drink it is wrong but there is nothing wrong with putting a little on their tounge, it's better than soap. I've tried it but it doesn't work on my kids, they love hot sauce.
    sammiesmom2000

Answer by sammiesmom2000 at 4:12 PM on Sep. 19, 2009

• It depends on the situation. My SIL did this with her children, but it was only a drop on the tongue, not the whole bottle.

How many of us had soap put in our mouth for bad language? Do you think your parents were abusing you?
    ap9902

Answer by ap9902 at 4:12 PM on Sep. 19, 2009

• I WOULD TURN HER ASS IN TO THE C.P.S ! ! HELL SHE COULD USE HOUSE CLEANING STUFF INSTEAD OF HOT STUFF . THAT BITCH LOST HER DAM MIND ! ! I LIKE TO PURE THE BOTTLE DOWN HER THROUGHT AND LET THAT BITCH SUFFER ! ! IM SORRY EVERY BODY BUT THAT PIST ME OFF WHEN I READ THAT ! ! !
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:14 PM on Sep. 19, 2009

• putting a drop on their toung for bad language or talking back is completely different from forcing them to "DRINK" it. But, I don't think putting it on ther tongue for not eating is right either. Only to correct bad language or back talk.
    Anonymous