DNR Order!!!

Have you ever had to sign a DNR order for one of your parents?? My dad has COPD later stage and an aortic anyersm with that being said this is what parents want. I am not dealing with this at all very well. I had my mom have my hubby help her cause I can't do it Am I being selfish?

Korysmom96

Asked by Korysmom96 at 4:05 PM on Sep. 19, 2009 in Health

• It's not being selfish like it's a bad thing, it's taking care of your SELF first. Sometimes you just have to do that for your own sanity. You understand the situation, you just aren't ready to deal, so having your hubby help out is the best choice to make. You aren't being stubborn or argumentative, just dealing with what you can at the moment. My prayers for your whole family.
    kjrn79

Answer by kjrn79 at 6:25 PM on Sep. 19, 2009

• I don't think that you are being selfish. It's not something that is easy to deal with at all. It would be hard on most everyone I know. But, What can you do honey, it's his wishes? Hugs to you!!!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:07 PM on Sep. 19, 2009

• Only the patient or someone with a Power of Attorney could do that. I doubt if the hospital will randomly allow someone to choose to order a DNR. I'd call another hospital and see what their procedure is but selfish? no, that's not selfish.

Answer by admckenzie at 6:30 PM on Sep. 19, 2009

• I can understand how you're feeling. No you are not being selfish, this is something that is very emotional and stressful for anyone. My dad passed 5 years ago, and we had to help my mom wiht some difficult decisions. I will keep you and your family in my prayers.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:02 PM on Sep. 19, 2009

• Yes, this isn't your choice, this is your parents choice. I would rather die in peace and dignity than be a vegetable the rest of my life. I would not want my son or anyone else to have to visit me and see me as a body in a bed that doesn't respond to them. I would rather my son and everyone else, grieve my passing and think of me in good times and good health not suffering and sick.

As long as the patient is in good mental health, they can sign a DNR order and the doctors and hospital staff HAVE to follow it. No matter what the family wants.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 10:07 PM on Sep. 19, 2009

• You are not selfish, however this is not your choice.

Answer by rkoloms at 11:45 AM on Sep. 21, 2009